Monday, April 30, 2007

BG's



Today I had the best Baking Group and I actually received more Birthday Goods! (hence the title).

I was chatting with some girls at church the other day and we decided that since we all have a baking obsession, we may as well start a group and share it! We chose today as the first 'meeting' and picked Chocolate as the theme. May as well start with a bang, right? There was Chocolate Macaroon Sandwiches, made with Lindt dark chocolate, Banana Pecan and White Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Caramel Bites, and Chocolate Cups.




It was sooooo good! We all brought a plate, tray, loaf, pan, whatever... of something containing chocolate. I made Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies. They were quite delicious, if I do say so myself. A new recipe from the Donna Hay Chocolate cookbook Rachel gave me for my bday. Everyone brought the recipe, printed out, to share with the group. We all filled our plates with chocolate delicacies and chatted and ate while the kids played. It was great. We talked and talked until about 2.5 hours passed and someone had to go. We all swapped recipes and filled our plates with leftovers so we all went home with an array of chocolate delights. I was thinking to myself, "Now THIS is a great group!" Some of the other groups going in our ward are cooking, movies, playgroup, sewing, bookclub, and craft. The walking group didn't last long. If you are LDS, what are some of the groups in your ward? Which ones do you enjoy? What keeps them going? (Sorry, I am interested since it relates to my calling)

Not long after the girls left there was a knock at my door. It was my old landlord delivering a package for me. My birthday gift from Britney had arrived! It actually had something for Olivia and Ashley too (you gotta condense packaging when you're mailing to Australia. ) Thanks so much Britney.



There was a cute little handbag for me which she somehow read my mind b/c I need one desperately. If you know me, you know I LOVE LOVE LOVE bags. I have a million of them. But there is one problem- I am always drawn to the oversized, sort of Mary Poppins bag. I guess you could say "satchel" type bags. I love to throw everything in- snacks, diapers, change of clothes for baby, water bottle, you name it. Then when I go out with Jared or with a friend, I don't have any small bags to take! I have actually been on the hunt. This one is perfect b/c I can just fit my phone, wallet, and a lip gloss. You are once again the best friend Britney! I don't know how you knew.

I didn't open Olivia's yet b/c she is at preschool, but I am sure it's the perfect little girly pink gift that Olivia will love. For Ashley an adorable pink pig she will love. She is just getting into little bears and dolls and lately the mini Care Bears are her favorite. She will love this. There was also a great CD for the kids called Indian Elephant Tea by The Big Kidz Band featuring Skip Ewing. Britney always knows great kids music and books. She is a guru. I am sure we'll love it.



Last of all, and perhaps the greatest gift was the card. I can't even tell you how much this means to me. (like Jared's list of 32 things). I need to hear that I am loved and cared for. Don't we all? Even though I know it's true, it means so much when it's put into words, into print. The words of this card were almost healing to the holes in my heart from the past year or so that I have really been struggling. Moving here has made me question a lot of things including who I am and my worth (I have had a hard time making friends and connecting with people). Thank you Britney for helping me feel so loved and appreciated. I will never get rid of that card. Besides, the paper and colors are gorgeous! I am definitely going to copy it and reproduce it. It's perfect for me. I love ya!

So it is a good day. I am going to enjoy another hour of Ashley sleeping and Austin being at school. Later I will get Olivia and we'll go to soccer practice. Jared is out of town. I might call Mum and see if she wants to see Becoming Jane, we both want to see it and it's about to leave the Arts Center.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob. It's Tuesday morning here and I see that your post is Tuesday morning! I'm am so happy about your baking group! Your chocolate cheesecake brownies looked scrumptious. I also love Britany for being such a great friend to you!

Jamie said...

What a good idea for a group! I think you need to start a "recipe blog" for all of the yummy food you've pictured!
I'm so happy your bday package arrived. There is nothing better than a little pick-me-up from old friends.

amy gretchen said...

The baking group is an excellent idea.

Wow its so nice to have such a good friend. You are both lucky to have each other.

Elizabeth said...

I love that baking group idea. I am going to have to start one up. We do the same groups here. We also do vegetarian cooking.
I wish I had a chili recipe for you. I just throw everything in the pot. I don't use tvp. I put lentils in though and I like the texture they provide. Also I blend up part of it and add it back to make it thicker.

Jill said...

A baking group is a good idea. Our ward has a book club that's monthly, and a young mother's group that meets for play dates and then once a month for a class (i.e., preparing your child for preschool, teaching your children to read the scriptures, learning to cut hair, etc.), the walking group didn't last long for us either.

It looks like you got thoughtful gifts from Britney, best friends just have a way don't they?

michelle said...

A baking group! What a fabulous idea! I could totally get behind that.