Friday, March 23, 2007

Motherhood Today



*Me, my Mom, and my Mum at the Salt Lake City temple*

I have been feeling really frustrated lately and intensely aware of all the ways I need to improve myself. I hope that none of my recent blog postings have come across the wrong way. I write these things b/c it's what I am thinking about and what I need to work on. Certainly not to show how great I am or that I am such a good mother and I am doing this and that and the other. Quite the contrary. I never want to have a blog that makes anyone else feel worse about themselves so I just have to make that disclaimer b/c I am not the best communicator or writer so I never know how things are being perceived.

So I get to speak in church tomorrow. The topic is "Having a Christ centered home in a world of turmoil". I have found so many wonderful quotes and uplifting ideas while preparing for this talk. I just wanted to record them in one place and share them with other mothers out there who may need them.

From SWK Teachings of the Presidents of the Church:
"Too many women spend their time sociallizing, politicking, in public services when they should be home to teach and train and receive and love their children into security". (it's that last bit about loving them into security that I found poignant)



*My best friend Britney and I with our kids*

Next 3 also from Spencer W. Kimball:
"No greater honor could be given to a woman than to assist in God's divine plan. I wish to say without equivocation that a woman will find no greater satisfaction and joy and peace and make no greater contribution to mankind than in being a wise and worthy woman and raising good children"

"You read the papers, you watch television, you hear the radio, you read books and magazines, and much that comes to your consciousness is designed to lead you astray..."

"The righteous woman's strength and influence today can be tenfold what it might be in more tranquil times... the righteous woman can help to save the home, which may be the last and only sanctuary some mortals know in the midst of storm and strife"



*Me and my Mom during November when I was back in the States for a visit*

Sister Sheri Dew said, Satan has declared war on motherhood. He knows that those who rock the cradle can rock his earthly empire. And he knows that without righteous mothers loving and leading the next generation, the kingdom of God will fail.


In a world of turmoil and uncertainty, it is more important than ever to make our families the center of our lives and the top of our priorities. Families lie at the center of our Heavenly Father’s plan. (Elder L. Tom Perry, The Importance of the Family, Ensign, May 2003, 40)



*Me and Ashley about a month ago*

Don't have time to write today- Ashley is napping and Don & Elise (J's cousin and her husband) took Austin and Olivia to the beach. YAY! My time is limited. I have been going over my talk and now I have to work on something for Enrichment next Thursday. We are creating a book to give to each sister which has photos and a small biography of each sister in the ward. This has been a huge project and I can't wait to finish it. I think it's going to be great! Have a good weekend!

Enjoy motherhood- YOU CAN DO IT! (keep saying this over and over until you believe it ,ha ha)

6 comments:

Jill said...

That last picture of you and Ashley is freaking me out. Your hair is always changing, but to see it dark and curly is crazy. You look good, just different.

I'm sure your talk will be great. These quotes are amazing (and a little bit frightening). It kind of makes me feel like we're all a little bit crazy for getting married so young and then plunging into parenthood. This is a huge responsibility and feels like more than I bargained for on most days.

Jamie said...

Those quotes are great...very motivational. They are just what I need to read in order to remind myself to put things into perspective, especially when the boys are driving me crazy!
I like your hair. :D You've talked about wearing it curly, but this is the first picture you've put up of it curly. Very cute.

Laurie said...

I like that you have a "mom" and a "mum."

I do love the quotes and I bet your talk was great. That one about saving the home - the last sanctuary was interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I can't believe all the work you are going to for your Enrichment evening, but I'm sure it's going to be wonderful! It sounds REALLY NEAT. I'd love to see lots of photos!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those quotes on motherhood (and the photos!). You are a super mother and you don't need to send out any disclaimers!

amy gretchen said...

I am sure you did amazing on your talk. I have always thought you to be a good public speaker. I loved all your quotes. They certainly helped me on a day when I needed it. Thank you for sharing.

michelle said...

I definitely need affirmations to keep me going with motherhood. Most days it feels like such an overwhelming responsibility. Can I do this? Only with divine help!