Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Healthy Kids Seminar



Today I went to a 90 minute seminar at my local library called "Healthy Kids". It was put on by a friend from church who is a personal trainer and fitness coach. She has had two successful businesses in the past and this is her latest creation. As I shared in my "100 List", teaching kids good eating habits is something very important to me. I remember when I read the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child", it mentioned that teaching your kids to sleep is an important LIFE SKILL. No matter what they do in life, good sleeping habits are essential. Sleep will affect their life each and every day. I feel the same about eating. Proper nutrition is what fuels your body. When children get too much sugar or if they are deficient in a nutrient, serious side effects can occur; behavioral problems, physical issues, frequent colds and sickness, low immune response, asthma, etc.

Like sleep in children, it's easy to take the lazy way out. But the thing is, how will they learn? If you don't set an example and provide good food choices, are they supposed to spontaneously figure it out on their own? The statistics are staggering. If both parents are healthy and an average body weight, the child has only a 7% chance of being obese. If one parent is overweight, the rate goes up to 40% and if both then 80%. And you've probably all heard that about 1 in 3 children are now obese and the rate is expected to go up to about 50% in the next 15 years.

Some of the important things she talked about:

Water
-Water is an essential nutrient. Juices have a lot of sugar. It's best to water them down to about 1:2 parts. The average can of soda contains 8 teaspoons of sugar. She had an empty glass with 8 tsp. of sugar in it and it was a lot. Yuck. She helped her son (7) set a goal to drink a full bottle of water each day at school. He slowly drank more and more until he now finishes the whole thing. I really need to do this with Austin. Its so hot here and he often comes home with only 1/2 cup gone from his water bottle.

Serving Sizes
-Teach them what a realistic serving size is. Do not give them adult portions. The average plate is 3 inches bigger today than 20 years ago. We eat too much. Never give kids a bag of chips or a box of crackers to eat from. Always put them in a small bowl or on plate to serve. Avoid eating in front of TV as much as possible. Teach them to eat in appropriate places like at the table or in highchair, etc.

Emotions
-Try to watch and see if they are eating just b/c they are bored. If so, set specific eating times that are allowed. ie. Breakfast 7:30, midmorning snack 10am, lunch 12:30, midpm snack 2:30, dinner 6:00 and so on. DO NOT use food as a reward. (I am SO guilty of this. I totally bribe them to eat dinner to get dessert or if they memorize an Art. of Faith they get an ice cream at McD's). She said reward them with something else like stickers, an outing, going to the park, a movie, whatever. If you bribe them to eat broccoli just to get ice cream, statistics show that they do not like broccoli at the end of the day and will always associate it with that negative experience when older. Jamie Oliver changed school lunches in England and the school saw a HUGE effect on behavior.

Encourage Phys. Activity
-Let them PLAY! Use imagination. Dance with them. Games games games (kick the can, tag, statues, etc). The average child gets 5000 hours LESS time in physical activity in school than the mid 70's. They burn 350-400 calories per hour playing games. Create fun outdoors- have scooters, jump ropes, soccer ball, etc. Go for walks together. Be active together as a family. Play at the park. Be a good example yourself. If they see that you value it and want to keep your body healthy, they will too

Eating at School
-If you pack your child's lunch box, this is supposedly the 'ideal' lunch box:

1. 1-2 servings fresh or dried fruit- grapes, melon, apple, box raisins, etc
2. 1 serving vegetable- carrot sticks, cucumber, red pepper slices, salad (on sandwich), celery
3. 1 serving protein- ham (on sandwich), tuna, beans
4. 1 serving dairy- yogurt, cheese sticks, cheese (with crackers), milk
5. 2-3 servings grains- sandwich, wholegrain crackers (with cheese), small bowl of pasta, roll
6. drink-ideally not juice unless watered down, water, or milk




Bad Weather Tips
-create fun indoors. Do a race to finish chores like sweeping and dusting. Play with soft balls, Hula hoop, hide and seek, rake leaves, shovel snow, etc. Go for walk around shopping center and get a smoothie for a treat.

Increase Incidental Exercise
-take the stairs, park father away, dance together, do chores, have a day with no remote, make a rule they must walk around while on the phone (for teens). When you do these things they won't even know they are 'exercising'.

Family = Healthy Living Team
-number one rule- YOU must do it. You can't preach to them or complain they just sit around if you are doing the same. Don't ban chocolate and other sweets, just limit them to special occasions or weekends, etc. Whatever attitude you have toward food your kids will pick it up. Do not associate guilt with food. Don't diet all the time. Do not complain about weight. Do not belittle yourself or criticize your body in front of them. You must teach them to have a healthy self image. It will affect them all their lives. It's a gradual process. Just work to improve habits. Set a goal to change ONE thing a week- ie cut out snacking in front of tv. Next week- increase veggies, following week- go for walks, etc.

The last thing she said was "you have the control to save your kids from being a statistic (obesity, diabetes, etc). What are you going to do about it?

I think I am pretty good, but when she had us fill out the survey that said to 'write down everything one of your children ate yesterday'- I realized that I could be better. Austin had a healthy bfast and lunch but he had a strawberry milk and a donut for a snack and also had ice cream after dinner. I tend to think that I let my kids have treats 'now and then' but I think it's more often than I realize. They also love to eat bfast while watching cartoons, which I never even thought about. I guess once you write it down you realize that you're not as good as you think! (Selective thinking). I am going to try and improve some of these things. I also want to be more active as a family. Jared and I both exericise most days, but we don't do it together. We need to get out and have fun- kick the soccer ball, play tag, go to the park, etc. It's hard when it's hot but we can go swimming and do other things outside. I hope that someone out there got something out of these notes b/c I really enjoyed it. ** If you are a mother who packs a lunchbox every day PLEASE tell me what you pack b/c I am always out of ideas. Especially if your kids is not into lunch meat or cheese, like mine, or veggies **


******ADDITIONAL INFO******

After reading Annalisa's comment, I have to add that Mireille (the girl teaching the seminar) was very good about NOT being too psycho and strict with the kids, which I totally agree with. Although I am sure some of you who know me and are reading this think otherwise (meaning, you think I AM too strict). Mireille says they follow the 80/20 rule. 80% good choices and 20% of fun foods. They mainly eat whatever they want on the weekends and during the week they really adhere to the rules (eating at certain times, no ice cream, twinkies, or other junk).

I absolutely agree that if you are too strict about it your kids will go the other direction or they will freak out when at friends' houses eating chocopuffs and other sugary stuff, and if not then, in adulthood, once they are the ones responsible for their diet. I just want to teach them to make good choices and like Annalisa said, I pretty much require that they 'earn' the treats by eating nutritious food first. If they do not eat at least most of their lunch/dinner (meaning, at least 3-4 bites of chicken, minimum 2 bites of veggies, along with bread, pasta, rice or whatever we're having that night) then they do not get dessert. We don't always have dessert either, but if we are, they must eat some good stuff first. I don't feel that is too strict because what intelligent kid doesn't try to get away with as little as they can? If any of you have seen the Dr. Phil on this one it's so good. You just can't believe how manipulative those kids are and the wimpy parents give in every time. The kids scream and cry until they get the chocolate cookies or whatever it is they are going for. Anyway, like you Annalisa, I could go on forever. I just think it's easy to be lazy about it and say it's no big deal, meanwhile we are totally affecting our kids' health. They are kids- of course they are not going to pick the healthy stuff. I wouldn't have when I was that age! All I wanted was Frosted Flakes, Fruit Loops, Ding Dongs, etc. My biggest goal is just to get all the processed stuff out of the house. I try to buy as little pre-made, flavored, colored, processed snacks, meats, etc. Obviously it's really hard not to have ANY, but I think we do pretty well. I just need to be more mindful of those 'treats' I let them have so often. Just trying to make sure it's just that, a treat, not a daily food group. You know what I mean? Ok, end of story.

11 comments:

Bond Girl 007 said...

excellent post...thank you. just today was watching Dr. Phil show on children's obesity...scary! but I do think you are right, the parents have a huge huge impact on their kids. still don't pack lunches but i think a little bit of everything is good--still remember my cousins lunch box, she had a little of everything in there...

Elizabeth said...

What great info. I am also concerned with what my kids eat. I have a lot of room for improvement too. Sometimes my daughter comes home without her water bottle even opened. We are working on that.
My daughter gets tired of peanut butter and jelly everyday and we don't eat lunch meat either because of the nitrates. I started sending little tupperwares with leftovers from dinners. Like rice and chicken or couscous salad. I even freeze them sometimes so when I am in a crunch I can pull something out to defrost and send with her.

amy gretchen said...

Great post with excellent info. Thanks for sharing.

I do my best to give my children healthy choices. The problem is they don't always/never eat it. There have been many nights where Megan and Tess have both gone to bed hungry (their choice) because they didn't want the dinner I made. I think my problem in snacks. I let them have a granola bar or something like that when they come home from school so I wonder if they aren't hungry for dinner. I don't know the answer with the picky eaters, but like you I want to do better.

We make the same thing for school lunch and Bella loves it. PB&J sandwich, chips, carrots, grapes or apple. I also feel very confident she will eat the good things first because she does it that way at home. I wouldn't not trust my other two. I need to keep working on that.

annalisa said...

Robyn I love this post! I could have written it. The Sleep Habits book spoke to me the same way. It's such a sacrifice when they are little getting into routines, but it is worth it so they don't end up like me with insomnia as an adult having anxiety about sleep.
I've gotten to where Alexis chooses what to eat for every meal but dinner because she makes great choices. But I do let her watch too much TV, often snacking in front of it (even though I know better) and I don't pull out the serving of crackers.
All we drink is water so it's never an issue, but I struggle with dessert. I approach it as you can't have junk in your body until you put nutrition there first, but that may still be a reward.
I was just thinking about how she sees me exercise, but she doesn't get that much. She'd rather play inside than out and do art projects than active things. She takes ballet and I'm signing her up for soccer, but once the weather warms up we are going outside to play!
Dieting can be a juggle because you want to eat healthy and turn down those treats, but at what point is your too-strict diet sending the wrong message? I've heard on several news programs that girls get their body image from their mom's body image. Scary! I am very careful not to criticize myself (although I'm sure I've slipped up) or act uncomfortable in my skin.
I'm lucky to have a daughter who is such an un-picky eater. I don't have to do lunches until next year. I know this comment is as long as your post now and I could still go on!

Jamie said...

Thanks for all of the great information. I REALLY liked this post and totally agree with everything. It is so sad to go out to the store and see so many kids who are so overweight at such a young age. It's like they never even got a chance.
The only ideas for lunch box that I can think of w/o meat is peanut butter, but is it hard to get in Australia? Maybe you could make your own natural pb. "Ants on a log" is always a hit in our house. Carrot sticks. Apples dipped in pb mixed with honey. A cheese quesadilla on whole-wheat tortilla. Home-made granola with nuts and dried fruit. Pistachios.
As you can see, we eat a lot of nuts here. Harrison needs the extra protein. He burns everything off so fast.

Jamie said...

By the way, love the new counter!

Jill said...

This is excellent info, though is a little bit daunting. My kids do great with drinking lots of water and getting a good amount of sleep on a regular schedule, but they could definitely improve their snacking habits and exercise level. That makes me sad that kids don't move as much in school as we did when we were kids, I loved recess.

Laurie said...

Excellent post. I'm so in agreement about the healthy sleep habits (we are sleep routine nazis with our kids) and eating healthy. Getting my strong-willed, picky oldest to eat well has been hard. I think Jack will be easier b/c I know more now about what not to introduce when he's young and developing his tastes for things. He already seems a lot less picky and I'm grateful. I am big on buying whole grain, fiber-filled foods and having a veggies on the dinner plate every night. However, it's a definite journey to get him to learn to like a lot of good food still, so THANK YOU for the ideas!

Amy said...

I've seen your comments all of over lately, so came to check out your blog. This was an excellent post. I've been thinking about this lately & know that I need to make some improvements. Thanks for sharing specifics!

Anonymous said...

Rob, thanks for sharing all that information. I can't tell you how worried I am about what we are all eating today. Hopefully, the more we read, the more we share, then the more we'll change.

Anonymous said...

Great info. Thanks for sharing. I could definitely use some improvement in the snacking arena. Teaching good eating habits seems like something that should be so basic and simple -- something we should inherently do and KNOW how to do, but having kids and teaching them all of the things they need to know and do is a lot harder than it seems like it should be. Being a mom is so hard! :) I'm constantly learning something new.