Friday, February 02, 2007

Australian Anniversary



Ok, our real anniversary was on January 2nd, but I was waiting for Australia Day (Jan 26) to post about it. Instead, I talked about Britney that day.... so here is my real commemoration of living in Australia for one year. Some things I like about Australia and some things I wouldn't have experienced if I wasn't here.



1. I love that we can go to the beach almost every day of the year. My kids love being in the water, riding their boogie boards, playing in the sand, the whole nine yards. Even Ashley loves crawling (now walking) in the sand and is perfectly content, even when it's in her ears, in her mouth, and stuck in every crevice - yikes!



2. I love that we can go to the Billabong Factory Outlet. It's about 15 minutes away. Some guys from Jared's high school started Billabong (if you know Jared you are now saying, "Of course", since he seems to be connected to everyone, somehow).




3. I have been able to travel to Sydney and Melbourne, as well as around Brisbane, and up north to Noosa. It's been fun to see more of Australia and to travel- something I love to do.



4. I could have done without the lice. That is something I never thought I would experience in my life, nor my kids. Maybe I am naive, but I thought no one got it anymore unless you lived in Soweto or something. I think we are finally rid of it, after 4 different treatments and $100. What a nightmare.



5. I absolutely love fruit- pineapples, mangoes, kiwis, bananas, you name it. It's great that I can enjoy fresh fruit year round and that I can even get rambutan at my local grocery store, even if it is $18.95 per kilo. Ouch.



6. I have never bought so much sunscreen in my life. Since the Gold Coast has the highest sun cancer rate per capita IN THE WORLD, we are very conscious about it. There are skin care centers all over the place, commercials on TV, and it's a required item on the kids' school supply lists. We put it on before they leave the house and they reapply at least once during the day at school.



7. Being across the world makes good mail even better. (It reminds me of my mission in Thailand where every letter or card brought such excitement.) I got this great package from Jill full of Valentine's goodies, little Pet Shop toys for Olivia, binkies for Ashley, Fun Dip candy for both kids, scrapbooking stuff, etc. I feel extra grateful and appreciative since she paid the extra postage, filled out the customs form, AND it got here before Valentines too. Thanks Jill!

8. Another fantastic part about living here is that kids go to school earlier!!! YEAH! I am sure there are a few of you feeling very jealous as you read this. The cut off date is June 30th. Since Olivia will be 5 before June 30th next year, that means she goes to school next January! Do I have to describe how excited I am for that day to come? Do I even need to elaborate on the joy this brings to my life?! WOO HOO. Do I hear an "Amen Sister"? One more year and she'll be in what we call "Prep" going to school 5 days a week from 8:30 - 2:40. Now that is a great school system. I can't wait!



9. We get to swim on Christmas Day. Now I thought this would be really awful but we loved it this year. It made Christmas really fun. That's not to say that I don't miss hot cocoa, warm sweaters, crackling fires, etc. but if we can't have the whole snowy white Christmas thing, I will take gorgeous sunny beaches and warm weather. It was great that the kids could go outside and ride their new scooters and use their boogie boards, etc. We got them a big inflated backyard pool this year, which they love.



10. Life goes on without a dryer. I can't believe I am even saying this, but it's true. It took me months and months to get used to not throwing my clothes directly into the dryer from the washer. I really hated hanging up the clothes but I have finally seen the light. It's not that hard. The clothes, even towels, dry SO fast. It's still annoying if we have a few days of rain but if I get that desperate I can go to the laundromat (I will think of Jenn and her and her mother's tales of hellish laundry days and feel grateful for my situation. It could be worse, apparently)

11. I have discovered Anzac biscuits and Latte Tim Tams, and I get to eat good Cadbury's chocolate whenever I want.

12. I enjoy running outside and here I can do it year round. I often went running in Utah in the snow or rain. I actually love running on quiet, snowy mornings. However, there are days you simply can't go. It's too cold or the snow is too melty and you'll just be running through puddles or whatever. About 95% of the time the weather here is perfect for running. It's not hard to get motivated when it's sunny outside with a light breeze from the ocean, calling your name.

Just a few observations and comments. I still don't feel like this is "home" or have the desire to stay forever until I die, but I feel more comfortable. I don't think about talking and people hearing my accent. I don't notice their accent anymore either, unless I don't understand them and I have to say, "Pardon?" which is now a habit. I have been brainwashed into liking their yogurt and peanut butter, which were strange to me at first. It's been an emotional year and very difficult at times but I can see that I have grown and I can see that I have learned a lot about myself. No, I would not do it again, in case you were going to ask. I would not recommend having a baby 6 weeks after you arrive in a new country and about 2 weeks before your husband starts a crazy travel schedule (which didn't let up until December). I would not recommend selling off tons of your stuff b/c you think you'll save on shipping. In the end, I would have brought it all. But, it doesn't matter now and I have finally been able to STOP looking back and regretting this and that and stop asking myself, "Why did you..." and just move on. So here's to a good year in 2007. When are you all going to come and visit me?

10 comments:

michelle said...

Great post, Robyn. It's hard to believe you guys have been there over a year now. I'm so glad you are starting to feel more at ease in Australia and are able to let go of some of your regrets -- not easy to do!

OK, I'll admit that I have no idea what Billabong is... I'm so sorry about the lice fiasco, yuck! It does look awfully fun to be able to go to the beach and play anytime. And that package from Jill is fantastic!

Happy Australian Anniversary!

amy gretchen said...

Although you say you would never do it again, I'm grateful you are feeling more at peace with AU and getting to enjoy what it has to offer. I love all your reasons. I think it would be great to have great weather year round.

You know I would love to come visit and hopefully it can happen in the next few years.

Anonymous said...

Great positive outlook on everything there. It almost makes me want to move there too. Wait. No Costco. Never mind.

Actually, it sounds like you've adjusted well and can now enjoy what an amazing adventure/experience this can be for your family. Plus, your kids have cool Aussie accents. Does it get any better than that?

Elizabeth said...

What a great post. I also love that Hawaii had an earlier cut off so my daughter could start Kindergarten last year.
And going to the beach on Christmas was pretty cool. And the fruit and weather are great.
I am glad that you have found so much to love there even though the move was a big adjustment.

Laurie said...

Robyn,

I just can't get over that fruit. Is that Rambutan? It looks pretty scary, though I trust that it must taste good.

Anyway, this was a fun post to read. I'm quite impressed that you moved to another country weeks before having Ashley and at the beginning of Jared's travel. That takes strength.

It's interesting to read about life over there. I think having year-round warm weather and beach days is AWESOME. You scored girl.

Anonymous said...

Rob, If I hadn't seen the picture of that humongous spider I'd have my bags packed and be on a plane to Australia myself! I'm so glad that you have so much about your new "home" that you love. I don't think I could come up with a list like that....but then, maybe I could. I am terribly worried about the sun factor there but I guess you are taking all the precautions that you can. Love and miss you, babe.

Jill said...

This was a fun post to read. Your life is so different now, it's bizarre to think about but fun to learn about. That hairy-looking fruit looks a bit like a creature, yikes. I think I could get used to going to the beach all the time, kids going to school earlier, and warm winters, but the lice, the spiders, the weird food and no dryers sound grim.

Bond Girl 007 said...

gosh robyn what a great post...i think the faster we accept our real "life" what ever it might be we can focus and concentrate on life itself, instead of thinking or going back and forth from past to future and missing the present. I am glad you are embrassing your new home and new surroundings...it will only enrich your life for the better!

annalisa said...

No mention of vegimite :sp?). :)
We grew up in South America and it was the best to go to the beach on Christmas. In the afternoon all the Mormon families would go. It's so much better than freezing your tail off.
We also got two big school breaks. We went from early August to mid-December and then were off until February through June. Winter and summer breaks. I wish school were like that here.
I have to say I'm jealous of the running yearround. But the weather has finally warmed up here so I don't have to fret until next winter about that stupid treadmill :).
Having experienced it as a child and not as my mom (who moved when my sister was 1 month old after a c-section) it was the best. Your kids will look back on their days in Australia with much fondness.

annalisa said...

I forgot to mention: I love the encouragement for good skin care. I worry about that next year when I have to send Alexis to school all day. She's not going to want to reapply when it's not encouraged. Good habits again right?