Monday, February 19, 2007

Ashley's Birthday Quilt




Tomorrow is Ashley's first birthday. I bought this cute fabric in the States back in November and I have been dying to create a little blanket for Ashley, which I wanted to finish for the big day. The other day Mum called me and said (out of the goodness of her heart), "Would you like me to come over and help you do the quilt for Ashley?" I was so happy! Even though I knew I was perfectly capable of doing it myself, I had been procrastinating the project, for some reason. I really enjoy quilting but I just don't seem to have the time lately, or if I do, I would rather relax on the couch watching a good show (like last night's good tv).

So Mum came over and before I knew it, she had all the squares cut out and ready to go. We laid out the squares and switched them around until we got a configuration that we liked.



Mum is an EXPERT quilter. I am sure she cannot count how many quilts she has made in her lifetime. Now that we live here, tons of people have mentioned to me that they know my mother-in-law and that she made them a quilt for their baby or for their wedding, etc. She has made us at least 2-3 that I can think of, and has some in the works as well. She sat right down and started putting together squares while I pressed them.



I couldn't believe how fast this quilt was done. Seriously, I think it was about 2.5 hours. I would've been happy if she'd just come over to help me cut/prep... but this was awesome! It was done before I had to leave and get Austin from school. How exciting. I love finishing a project like this. I just keep pulling it out and looking at it, oohing and aahing over it. I love the pinks, yellows and oranges. I love the prints. Now I have to make Ashley love it. How can you NOT love that minky? The whole back is pink, bubbly minky. So soft I could just curl right up myself!




I had some extra squares and fabric scraps so I made these two little pillows for her crib. Just looking at them makes me happy. I love the bright, cheerful colors and especially the paisley and the polka dots. Too cute. All the fabric is from Quilt Cottage in American Fork, in case you wanted to know.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Sooooo cute! Can't wait to see a picture of it on her bed, complete with pillows, etc.
It always is fulfilling when you can finish a project in a day. Way to go! And what a great Mother-in-law. :D

amy gretchen said...

The quilt is beautiful. I love the bright colors. You are lucky to have your mum there to help you. She is such a wonderful woman.

melanie said...

That quilt is to die for! I love the colors! Awesome that you got such wonderful help and finished it so quickly, great job!

Bond Girl 007 said...

OH MY GOSH you know how many quilts I have on the works???? like 4 they have the stuff in side and I closed them on the outside but they are so WIDE and BIG that I can't spread them in my home (TOWNHOUSE) kind of narrow...so I just decided to put them away until I have a larger house! cRAZY but I love quilting...your belle MUM looks soo cute sewing.....wow I can't believe you finished it already! how fast! i love the colors!

annalisa said...

That quilt is adorable. Too bad I don't quilt!

Anonymous said...

That turned out so cute!!! What a nice grandma!!!!!!!!! I love it!

Jill said...

The quilt looks great and I love it that you backed it with the pink minky fabric. That stuff is so soft and cuddly, perfect for a sweet baby girl like Ashley.

Anonymous said...

The quilt and pillows are great! I'm so glad you and Diane got them done for Ashley's birthday.