Saturday, January 06, 2007

2007 Goals



I can't believe it's taken me a week to sit down and write my goals. I have been thinking about it all week, noting down areas I want to improve and things I want to do in 2007. It's pretty safe to say that 2006 was a crap year for me (too much stress, moving across the world, having a baby in an unknown land, etc.) so I am excited to move on and get into the new year. I had a great Christmas and New Year's, so I am feeling very positive. Here is the working list so far:


1. Read Scriptures 30 min daily- last year I had the goal just to read every day since I was missing too many days. I got in a pretty good habit so now I have decided to focus on doing what the prophet suggests and that is 30 min per day. I have told myself I can break it up if I have to (sometimes it's hard to find 30 consecutive minutes of quiet with 3 kids).



2. Run at least 6 k's three times a week- I don't have a problem exercising regularly. I already enjoy it and the habit is set but I need to improve and challenge myself a bit. I aim for a 5 minute/kilometer pace which isn't really fast but it's steady and that is fine with me. My new Mizuno's from America should help. Today I ran 7k's in 35 minutes, so maybe I will try to do a little better. So far I did it this week (6k's three times, that is) but sometimes it's tricky fitting it in.

3. Be more PATIENT- I know patience is a virtue and it's already a challenge for me. I am just an impatient person by nature. I want everything now (or 5 minutes ago). With kids, it's hard for me not to yell when I have already told them 3 times to stop arguing or stop pulling the baby's arms or whatever. I am going for a "no yelling" policy but it's proven a challenge already this week. Just makes me that much more aware of how badly I need to work on this!

4. Spend 10 minutes one-on-one with each kid, every day- I know it sounds weird, but there are days that I go through my routine without really sitting down with each child, just giving them my time and attention. Now, I might sit down and play Uno with Austin AND Olivia, or go for a walk with all three... but I am talking about JUST being with Austin, reading, laughing, talking, playing with a ball, playing chess (his new pastime), whatever.

5. Go to the temple once a month- the Brisbane temple is an hour away and we have Jared's parents 2 minutes away, willing to babysit whenever we want. I know we can easily do this if we try. We have made this a goal as a RS presidency as well, so hopefully between Jared and I going and going as a presidency I will get there every month.

6. Date with Jared once a week- now this may not happen when he is traveling a lot, but when he is in town we can do it. Again, we have Mum and Dad offering to babysit (literally offering, I don't even have to ask!) so we can do it. I get sick of doing movies so hopefully this will include walks at the beach, going for a run together, etc.



7. Crafts 2 days a month- this goal is realistic. I just don't find time to get all my stuff out and work on projects and I don't currently have my office set up properly. I bought some adorable fabric in the States to make a quilt for Ashley so this is top on the list.



8. Take a class for Adobe Photoshop- I NEED to learn to use this program and it kills me that I don't know anything about it. Unlike Amy, I am not good at teaching myself things by just "playing around with it" and I don't memorize so easily. I have to do things hands on and I want to learn how to use it well.




9. Take a class for my Canon Digital Rebel- not just a regular photography course but one for digital SLRs like mine. I know I have so many great features and I have the potential to take great photos but I haven't found the manual that helpful and I don't know alot about basic photography... so I might have to start there and then do the digital Rebel one, but we'll see.

10. Get a good system for rewards/chores in place- I have tried the marble system with my kids and it didn't work for them. I have had chore charts in the past but I forget to print out new ones and then we forget. I need to be regular with it so that it will mean something and be a tradition in our house. I want them to experience the satisfaction of doing a good job and taking care of your own things, helping around the house, etc. I also want to teach them to save money for their own things so we might start a small allowance (on top of the basic things that they are just expected to do, like make beds)



11. Be optimistic- I am so negative by nature and I hate it. I always see the down side of everything and I want to be more positive and more happy. I know that I have a life that millions of people would love to have. I get to stay home with my kids, I have a nice new home, I have a good husband, and three healthy children. I also want to be more positive with my children so they don't pick up this bad habit. I want to be better at praising them when they do nice things for each other, when they do what I ask, and just compliment them more often, overall. Have a good attitude.

12. Learn family history- my in laws are so good at Family History. They have done tons of files and my mother in law has a binder that is so organized with little folders of "to do baptism" and so on. Although she doesn't know it yet (ha ha) I want her to teach me how to go about searching for names and compiling the information, etc. I believe that this isn't just a pastime for older people- we all have a responsibility as members of the church to do this work.



13. Be more social- It's been easy since I moved here to rely on family members to be my friends. Jared has a few friends that he grew up with that we socialize with but I haven't made a lot of friends on my own, just acquaintances. I need to reach out more and invite people over for play dates and other families over for dinner so that we can widen our circle. I have a goal to do this 2 times per month.

So that is my list (that keeps growing) in no particular order. I have never been that great at goals. I usually write some things out and never look again. Only on my mission did goals really matter to me and happen for me. I guess I should add #14 as a goal to actually keep these goals! I wish you all luck in your own New Year's Resolutions!!!

4 comments:

Jill said...

These look like good, well thought-out, doable goals Robyn. I'm impressed. I haven't actually formulated my goals for this year because as I've been thinking about the things I "wish" I would do or be I find myself questioning my commitment to actually following through, so that keeps me from setting the goals in the first place. Perhaps I'm a goal coward. Good luck with yours!

michelle said...

excellent goals. I like how you've planned out how to achieve them and set things that you think are doable. I feel like I want to change everything, but It's so easy to get overwhelmed. Good luck with your goals!

amy gretchen said...

I love your goals. I think each of those are on my list in one way or the other. #4 is great and one I could use myself. Too much of life gets in the way and I often wonder what time have I actually given to my kids. These all seem so attainable and hope you are able to follow through...the hardest part. I, of course, am willing to help answer any questions with photoshop. Good luck to you.

Jamie said...

I found this out about you while we were comps and it is still true: you are the most motivated person I know and I think it is awesome! You have some great goals and I know you will achieve them. It seems like you are already half-way there on most of them and it is only the second week of the year! You have always been such a good example to me. Good luck and I wish you the best. :D