Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Build a Bear Workshop
Austin and Olivia were so excited that Nana took them to the Build A Bear workshop yesterday. I have seen it many times and I have to admit I roll my eyes at the long lines of people standing there to get ripped off. I always thought, "Why don't you just go and buy a normal teddy bear?" What's the big deal if they stuff it in front of you and your kids gets to choose it? Well, I have to admit I was somewhat put in my place. We took the kids in b/c my mom wanted to do something special with them while we're here. They LOVED it! They couldn't even believe they got to pick their own stuffed animal. I was impressed at how quickly they chose. Austin went right for the koala. I was a bit annoyed by this for some reason, and started to attempt to sway him but then realized that I should support his choice even if I didn't like it (something I often battle as a mother). Olivia did vacillate for a moment then headed right for a mostly white but lightly tinted pink fluffy bear. They clung onto them as they waited for the 'stuffing machine'. Once we got to that step, they were a bit taken back by the overly enthusiastic employee who looked like she came out of a training video. She asked if they wanted to take part in the 'heart ceremony' and proceeded to ask them to swear to be the bear's best friend and love it forever, etc. etc. She held Olivia's bear out and said, "you'd better check to see if it's cuddly enough". Olivia gave it a squeeze and smiled at the lady. It was really cute. My mom was practically in tears. After we watched them sew up the backs, we headed to the computer to make the birth certificates. We entered all their info and they got to name the bears. Austin's is Kuku (I think that's Aboriginal... ha ha) and Olivia's is Suzy. So of course their birth dates were November 13th and all day Austin kept saying, "Mom, what day was Kuku born?" I thought it was really cute. I sometimes think he's past all that stuff but it's nice to know that he hasn't yet been hardened by the world. They both carried their bears around ALL day, ALL night, the next day. What a great gift, Mom. I think they will remember that for many years to come. So, I guess I am doing free advertising for Build A Bear. We loved it. (I won't, however, be spending $50 on a costume for each bear anytime soon!) Thanks Nana!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What a cute thing for mom to take the kids to do. I'm surprised Austin was so into it too. Whitney got a gift certificate from Adam, Amy and Lori to go there and bugs me about going there all the time.
I thought what they picked out was really cute and loved the names they choose. Bella loved making her bear. I think we'll get one for Tess and Megan on their bday since they were so jealous of Bella's gift. Who knew that build a bear would be such a hit?
I can totally see the appeal of choosing your bear and seeing it being made, naming it, etc. I got a coupon in the mail for Build a Bear today and was flipping through. I can totally see Whitney going for the Hello Kitty!
So fun that your kids will have the bears when they go back to Australia to remind them of being with Nana.
the greatest thing about this is that THEY LOVED IT...so that should be a home run! What a good memory!
Hi Robyn. I'm glad to hear you are in the good old USA and having a blast with your family. I enjoyed your post. I had to laugh about the enthusiastic employee. We've done Build A Bear once for a friend's bday party and it was fun.
Post a Comment