Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Nice to be Home



It's so nice that Jared has been home for a whole week now. It's funny that this seems like such a long time, but based on his travel itinerary of late, one week IS a long time. We have been able to take the kids to the beach, go to church together (way too rare), have dinner every night, etc. Jared is really a great dad. I hate admitting this to him, but I should give him a lot more credit.



He is happy to change poopy diapers, take kids with him to the store, wash the dishes, do Olivia's hair, get them dressed, feed the baby, you name it. I know a lot of dads are selective about their duties and Jared is not one of those guys. He also makes sure that I get a break now and then, like when Lori and I went to Melbourne for 5 days back in July. How many dads would be happy to take care of three small children and let their wife go away? I am reminded of the Oprah episode where they featured the dad who had never taken care of his kids alone. He had like 3 or 4 of them. Oprah challenged him and sent the wife away to a spa for a day. He was having a breakdown and it was only one day! Wow. That would be rough as a mother. Doing it all alone.



I guess in my mind, I don't know how those wives do it. I guess I am just not that strong or something. I need the break. If my husband wasn't as helpful and great as he is, I don't think I could cope. He has been such a strength to me, especially when we first moved here and I was having a hard time adjusting, then dealing with a new baby. He would often say to me (and still does), "What do you want me to do?" He is humble enough to let me order him and direct him when things need to be done, like the 20 minutes before we leave for church and it seems like we are always dealing with complete chaos. He will pack the diaper bag, make a bottle, iron clothes, whatever. I am really thankful for him. I know that I am lucky to have a man who is loving, supportive, affectionate, complimentary, honest, kind, fun, and most of all loyal to our family.



I love that Jared will get down on the floor and wrestle with the kids, take Austin out to ride his bike or go running together (very cute), play a game or read books with Olivia, or make Ashley laugh by making silly faces. He is a good Dad and he loves his kids. He often calls me over to see something cute that Olivia is doing or to come see Ashley in her crib. I think it's adorable that he cherishes these little moments and doesn't want me to miss them.

Even though it isn't Father's Day or his birthday, I am going to make a special effort today to help him feel appreciated and tell him how much I love him. I am sharing this on my blog so that maybe all of us can take this opportunity to do the same. If you happen to be married, give your husband an extra hug today. He probably needs it!

4 comments:

amy gretchen said...

I think it's great Jared has been around this week. It really does make a difference to the whole family. My girls always miss Adam when he's gone. I'm sorry he travels so much, but hopefully in the future it won't be that way.

I'm so glad he has been so supportive to you especially during this time of transition...new country new baby. I have been really impressed by the trips you've taken and nights out. That certainly does help get your sanity back.

The photos are great. So glad you shared them.

Amy said...

thanks for the note on my birthday! i have loved looking through your blog... your kids are darling!

Bond Girl 007 said...

wow having time with dad is always sooo fun. I guess I am way to lucky with this...since Alf works from home...although sometimes you would wish for a little brake here and there...but I guess the best is just to work with what one's got! Glad to see they are enjoying him so much.
You are such a good sport like Amy said, it is hard being in a new country and away from home.

Jill said...

Does Jared read your blog? These are some mighty nice thoughts about him.