Wednesday, September 02, 2009

On her own

Ashley has had Mom and Dad all to herself the past couple weeks. It's amazing how quiet it is during the day with no big brother or big sister here. Yes, she has to entertain herself... but that also means that there is no big person there to take away her toys, insist on going first, tell her what to do, or otherwise boss her around. I think she likes it.



On Tuesday morning, I was feeling a little sorry for Ashley since Jared and I both work at home and during those hours while the big kids are gone (10-2), she plays alone for the most part. For the record, she can only watch one movie during that time, so I try to help her find lots of things to do. She is such a sweet girl and is so good at playing make-believe, getting her princesses or Barbies dressed up, taking care of her babies, doing her "homework", coloring, etc. She comes into the office every now and then to check-in, say hello, get a hug, request a snack or whatever. I usually have lunch with her about 12-12:30. She has been such a dream that it makes me so grateful for her and her easy nature. (Don't get me wrong, she can put up a stink when she wants to... but it's usually for a good reason)



So we took her to breakfast and got her a big, pink, sprinkley donut- her only request. Then we went to One Man Band for some big-people food. It was my first time going there and I guess I had the impression that it was going to be some quaint, cheap, local diner. I now know why I haven't been there before. Let me just say for someone who is a little OCD and a clean-freak, I wouldn't recommend it. There aren't many places that I would choose McDonalds over, but this is one of them. (Sorry if you are a fan)



Anyway, it was a nice little morning out with Ashley. I hope she felt rewarded for being such a good girl and enjoyed her QT with Mom and Dad b/c I am sure it's far too infrequent. I am so glad that she gets to finally start preschool on Wednesday. She is so anxious to have her own thing. It seems like an eternity she has waited since the other two started school. She keeps asking, "When do I go to MY school?" We had an open house last Wednesday and it was so fun talking with her teachers- they are totally adorable sisters. I think she's going to love it there and really enjoy herself. It's close to our house, the main reason I chose it.


On a side note, I apologized to her teachers for stinking like garlic and Thai food (the open house was right after dinnertime) and they exclaimed that they love Thai food! It turns out their dad served a mission in Thailand and helped to translate the Book of Mormon into Thai. The older sister, Megan, lived in Bangkok and went to an English school when she was younger. Their mom was right there and started speaking to me in Thai. What a small world!

5 comments:

Jill said...

It must be so nice for Ashley to have that time without Olivia and Austin bossing her around! I'm glad she gets to go to preschool soon, I know she'll love it.

Heidi said...

What a sweet girl. It's so nice that she is able to keep her self entertained -- not many kids can do that for that long. (it must be good parenting :) )

Yum for Daylight Donuts!! We used to have one here but it closed. And I'll be sure to steer away from "The Band" Ha!

Paradise Found said...

I haven't looked at your blog in a long time. You are busy, busy! Masie also seems a little lost when Miles is at preschool, and it almost becomes my work for me to keep her entertained. Ashley seems like such sweetie. Look forward to seeing how her first days of school go.

Jamie said...

I'm love how Ashley can't wait for 'her' school to start. :) And that her teachers have a connection to Thailand??? How cool is that!

Britney said...

How fun for her. She is such a good girl!

What a small world -- the Thai connection. I'm thinking it is almost coming close to the whole rugby connection. You might be catching up! :)