Monday, September 11, 2006




I was proud to hang my American flag today in remembrance of those lost on 9/11 five years ago. I can't believe it's been that long. It still seems like a bad dream, kind of like Hurricane Katrina. I can't even imagine the devastation of those families who were affected by what happened. Further, I can't imagine the horror of those poor people who were in the Trade center and watched airplanes flying directly at them. It's just so unbelievably horrific and terrible. I hope that today we can all remember the families who lost loved ones and also the policemen, firemen, and other heroes who lost their lives or were otherwise hurt and afflicted. It makes me grateful to be alive and well and to have all of my family members safe.

To catch up on what we've been doing the past few days...

On Saturday I went for a great 7k run while Jared took the kids to the park. It was so nice to have him home- just to have him home (first of all), but also to have him spend time with the kids and me. It's been hard to have him gone so much. We miss him a lot. He is a good dad and I love that he took the kids to the park without any prompting or suggestion on my part. I love the fact that he happily took Ashley with him too so that I could have a good workout. After that Ashley had a nap and Austin played down the street with James Wilkin (Jared's 2nd cousin's son who lives on our street). We then packed up stuff and went to the beach for the first time this spring! It was a beautiful day and our little Ashley went in the water for the first time. She seemed to like it. We went to Tallebudgeera Creek which is a small creek just in from the coastline. It was nice to let the kids play in the calm water and relax nearby. Lori had a nap since she had stayed up reading until 3am the night before. Crazy girl. That night wasn't too exciting. We went grocery shopping at 4:45 before the shops closed at 5 pm (argh), then made taco dinner, watched a few more episodes of Felicity then Jared watched the "footie" (rugby) on TV.



Sunday was church, of course. We went without Jared, again, since he had to leave for Coffs Harbor. Thankfully Lori is still here with me and my in-laws were at church b/c of a baby blessing. It's so nice when there is someone else there to entertain my children! My visiting teaching box is going pretty well so it's been easier to get the stats in. I have been asked to head up the "Craft group" in my ward so I passed around the sign up sheet and was surprised that about 15 women signed up. WOW- is that (gasp) a receptive response? I don't know quite how to process that. I am only used to blatant apathy. Let me check the list again.... Yes, yes, 15 names. I see it there on the paper. What a nice surprise.

Lori left church early with Tom and Diane (my mum and dad in law) to go for a drive. I think it's safe to say she was ecstatic over the idea of leaving early and not having to endure RS. Anyway, we got invited over to another member's house for dinner, so the kids and I went without her. We got home just in time to watch Australian Idol's 2 hour special. It's down to the final 12. It was really good. I am still betting on Bobby Flynn, Lisa Mitchell and Ricky. Mutto is pretty good (he is from the Gold Coast, just down the street) but he's not my type. I hate his hair by the way. Shave it, please. After that was done we had a 'shot' of Felicity, just two episodes. It's hilarious to see the late 90's fashion. She was wearing Simple clogs the other day and it brought back such memories. Also the button-down shirts left open. Bad faded jeans that weren't quite tapered yet weren't wide leg yet either. Funny.

Today we took Olivia to gymnastics then went to the Asian supermarket to get some things for the spring rolls I am making tomorrow in Austin's class. If you have ever been to an Asian shop before you will probably agree that the visit is usually accompanied by some funky smells. I went in first and warned Lori. I laughed a second later when I saw Olivia plugging her nose. I bent down to get a bottle off a shelf and she reached over and pinched Ashley's nose too (while still holding her own nose). It was pretty funny. Why do we think younger children won't notice such things? I found everything that I was looking for along with a few Thai goodies that I might be going back to get later like MAMA noodles and Rambutan fruit (yes it was canned but beggars can't be choosers). Later we picked Austin up from school, went the bookstore for Lori then had dinner at Mum and Dad's house. We hadn't really had a proper birthday dinner for Lori (in my opinion) so Mum made a traditional English roast, Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and gravy- the works. Jared called while we were there and I think I could actually HEAR his mouth watering. He was very jealous. It was yummy. I need to learn how to make Yorkshire puddings. Why the heck they are called "puddings" is worthy of it's own post.



Lori requested Tiramisu for her birthday cake. I had to put some little Australian flags on there so that she would always remember her 30th birthday in Australia. The tiramisu was pretty tasty but if anyone has a good recipe, please share it with me. I got mine on the internet but I am always willing to try and improve what I've got. I used "Ecco" for the coffee flavoring. It's kind of like Paro in the States. I think it worked pretty well. I just love tiramisu. I mean, let's be honest... any dessert with cream cheese and coffee flavoring is good in my book. If I could combine pumpkin with those two, I just might do it. Don't worry. I wouldn't do that. Gross.



So now it's midnight. Why do I always go to bed so late? It's like I am physically incapable of getting into my bed before 10:45. I seriously have a hard time remembering when I have gone to bed that early. I might be taking those words back tomorrow night because we have to leave at 5am to take Lori to the airport on Wednesday morning. YIKES! I will have to force myself to sleep. I'm no spring chicken. Long gone are the days of 4 hours of sleep. I need at least 7 or I am a zombie (so if you've done the math I am pretty much a zombie 90% of the time). Oh well. One day I will get to catch up on all this sleep deprivation, right? I am making big plans.

4 comments:

michelle said...

The grocery stores really close at 5:00? Sheesh. I guess that means you really have to plan in advance -- no last-minute runs to get ingredients.

How exciting that you are getting a good response for something from the sisters in your ward!

I love tiramisu, too. I don't have a good recipe. My ideal would be to approximate the one we used to eat at our favorite restaurant in Seattle. Mmmmmm.

How are you holding up with Lori's impending departure? It's crazy to think that it's springtime there.

Anne said...

Oh my gosh, Yorkshire pudding! I love that stuff. My dad makes it all the time but we call them shubidangs (we also call german pancakes "hootenanny pancakes." I guess my family is just a little weird!). Shubidangs are probably one of the few reasons I wish I lived closer to home.

amy gretchen said...

I am so impressed you try such different things in the kitchen. I think the reason I don't is because i fear it would be in vain. I don't think my family would eat it. I am amazed that stores close so early.

I enjoy tiramisu, which is weird because i hate anything with coffee. Didn't you make that for us once at your moms?

I hope you did well with Lori's departure. I can't even imagine what it was like to say goodbye. Hopefully it wasn't as bad knowing you will be coming to visit soon. Can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Rob, I was just laughing out loud throughout this entire post. Olivia holding her nose and THEN holding Ashley's for her at the same time! I'm so glad you gave us a closeup of the Tiramisu b/c that sprinkled in stuff from a distance looked to me like the Australian flags laying flat all over it. I'm so glad they weren't.
What a funny country, but yet, so laid back, b/c I would love it here, I think, if stores closed at 5:00 and we were forced to be organized and get things done.