Saturday, August 26, 2006

High Hopes



So this is the cute little box I have made for my fellow sisters to report their visiting teaching at church. I am trying to come up with ways to 'encourage' them to do their visiting teaching, without having to get up and talk all the time. The idea is that the box gets passed around the room- it has papers/pen for them to write their report, then they pass it on to the next person during Relief Society. That way, all the sisters get a chance to report and I don't have to chase after them at church. Win/Win, right?

Last month our numbers went up, so that was very exciting. We visited 43 out of about 70 sisters in the ward. The previous months it was more like 30 out of 70, not even 50%. I am hoping that this adorable box will do the trick and the numbers will continue to go up. It makes me sad that so many people aren't getting visited. I know that when my VTs don't come, I feel a little neglected. I once had a visiting teacher who said, seriously every time she saw me, "Oh, gosh! We need to come visit you. I will call you tomorrow to set something up." Do I need to mention that she never called? No, I take that back, one time she did call and made an appt then she forgot! Ouch. It's great motivation for me to do my visiting teaching b/c I don't ever want to be one of those people! Sorry for the negative example but sometimes those types of experiences prompt you to do good things.

Anyway, I was inspired to make this box by my sister in law, Lauren, when we visited her in Melbourne. I didn't even know it, but we have the same calling! As soon as I found out, I drilled her with questions about how she does the reporting, does she have supervisors, what are their stats, etc. Ok, maybe I am a little obsessed but I don't take failure well. I know, I know, it's my own perception. I shouldn't see low numbers as "failure" on my part, but I do.



Lauren showed me her box and I loved the idea. She cut one hole for the little papers and a pen, then another hole for people to insert the paper. Inside the box there is a little cardboard square to divide the two spaces (so the papers/pen don't fall in). I found this polka dotted box at the dollar store for $2. Perfect.

Wouldn't you be inspired upon seeing this cute little creation? Ok, I know there are better reasons to do your visiting teaching but I am reaching out to those who haven't been touched yet. Wish me luck!

I also need luck since Lori and Jared are gone for the week in Townsville. I am alone with my three little angels. Actually, we had a good day today. We had a lazy morning- Austin played Cartoon Network and Olivia watched Beauty and the Beast (she somehow got over her obsession with scary characters which, if you hadn't noticed, are in ALL Disney movies). Ashley had a long nap from 8-11. We then went to Robina Town Center, our local shopping mall. Austin had a haircut and we got a birthday gift for a party later in the day. The kids were excellent. They stayed with me, didn't fight, didn't ask for treats, no whining... and Ashley slept in the stroller (I think that's the second time EVER), it was unprecedented! We did have a close call with Olivia- I thought we were going to be exiting the mall with wet pants but we did a near sprint down the crowded hall to the bathroom and made it in time. When do they start to understand that you need some warning? C'mon people. I can't move quickly with a big stroller carrying an infant and two kids in tow. We almost took out an elderly couple doing a slow shuffle.

Next was the birthday party at 2 pm. It was actually someone in our stake who we don't know very well, but was nice to invite Austin and Olivia. They had a lot of fun at the soccer party and came home loaded with sugar- good times. I made the kids spaghetti for dinner and fixed myself a veggie wrap since I haven't been eating very well lately. Funny thing- they both asked for what I was having. HUH?! I thought it was so strange. Ok, they ended up not wanting all the veggies I had, but had melted cheese in the Lavash bread wrap and cucumbers/carrots on the side. I wasn't going to argue with that. That is one meal I am happy to waste- spaghetti in the trash... here's your veggies kids! Jill, I have to mention that we tried the Ranch dressing again with milk and sour cream and it's great. Olivia had about 1/2 cup of it with her veggies. She actually licked the plate clean she loves it so much. Thanks for hooking us up.



After the kids went to bed I spent about an hour on the phone with Qantas. I am trying to find tickets to visit the US in the next few months. We spent a fortune coming here just 8 months ago but I am really wanting a visit and my mom is dying to see the kids. It's been very difficult trying to figure out the best time to go, who can come with me (since there is no way I am taking three kids by myself), how long to stay, etc. Jared can't come for the amount of time I want to come but his mom has offered to come with me instead (using freq. flyer miles from Katherine). The trick is getting all the factors aligned- timing, available freq. flyer seats, purchasing tickets on the same flight as freq. flyer, getting the direct flight from Bris to LA, etc. I am hoping that we found a good flight in the end. I have to call Mum and Katherine first thing in the morning. It will mean Austin has to miss about 3 weeks of school. Anyone see a problem with a 5 yr. old missing that much of kindergarten? We couldn't get flights during December/Jan when he's out on summer holiday. It's looking like it's November or nothing. The flight sale starts Nov 1st and the tickets are $1485 round trip, direct from Brisbane to LA. This is a great price and the fact that it's direct is awesome. We usually have to go from Brisbane to Auckland or Sydney, then on to LA. With kids this makes the process very difficult, especially since there is still another leg from LA to Salt Lake City. You feel like you're on a plane for a week by the time you get there. So, for the third time... wish me luck. I hope that I get the flight I want and book this trip tomorrow!

5 comments:

Laurie said...

The box is really cute, and I like the concept b/c like you said it's a silent reminder to do their VTing.

Jill said...

I like the box idea too. It's cute, it's a great reminder and motivator, plus it eliminates the phone call to report, it's a great idea. I think it's great you're taking your calling seriously and are doing so much. It's also great that your numbers went up last month! Great news.

I'm glad you're figuring out your plane tickets and that Diane can come with you. You know how I feel about international flights and I think you're brave and impressive for doing it.

Anonymous said...

It's so great to be able to read every detail of your day and envision you all as I remember you. Weird to think the kids have probably grown so much they don't look anything like I remember! (sob.) It's a great credit to you Rob, that they wanted YOUR veggie meal instead of the spaghetti. I was so happy to read that! I'm crossing my fingers as well about the plane tickets. I'm so very excited to see you all again, but was disappointed that Jared can't come and spend three weeks like you said he was willing to do when we spoke last week. Loved the VT box idea also. You are doing such a great job at that they will never want to replace you!

amy gretchen said...

i hope you figure out the flights. i would love to see you all in november. you are a brave soul taking 3 kids across the sea, but so glad you are willing to do it.

amy gretchen said...

oh i forgot the box idea is great.