Sunday, August 27, 2006

Goodnight to YOU!



I often read Kristi Cutler's blog (my sister Jill's friend) and wonder why we don't have any fun family traditions. It seems they've got everything from shaking hands when you cross a state line to writing messages in the peanut butter to making silly ties for Father's Day gifts. I guess I just forget during the everyday, mundane minutes of our life to have fun sometimes.

I actually inadvertently created a family tradition just a few weeks ago. Olivia LOVES her DVD "The Fairies" given to us by cousins Lily and Sienna (Lauren's kids) for her birthday.
It has a million and one songs (Jill, you would probably hate it!) and some very cheesy acting. But since Olivia loves it so much, I recently used it to get her to go to sleep at naptime.

She is 3 1/2 and I count my lucky stars every day that I can still get her to take a nap. The thing is, she is Queen Manipulator, so when she has my undivided attention (i.e. when she is in bed and I am standing at the door) she uses every minute she can get- she never stops talking. Well, I was trying to get her to just lay down and sleep when I had an epiphany. I said, "If you lay down quietly I will do the special Fairy Light for you." She had no clue what the heck I was talking about but immediately got an excited look on her face and went mute. I almost laughed aloud when I saw her quick response. I had to come up with something quick... I said (as I flashed the light switch on and off) "Wibbly wobbly, bibbity boo, turn off the light, goodnight to YOU!" She giggled with glee and rolled over happily to go to sleep. I walked out, in disbelief, and told Lori "I just came upon something genius". I told her what I had done and we both had a good laugh over it. To my surprise, every single time I put her to bed after that- naptime or bedtime, she asked for the fairy light. We had to explain it to Austin that night since he had missed out on the inaugural fairy light. What is so crazy to me, is that they BOTH love it (Austin is almost six) and they shout "Goodnight to YOU" with me every time I say it. If I even think of walking out the door without doing the fairy light they yell "MOM! You forgot the fairy light".

I hope that we can come up with some other fun traditions in our family such as this one. I don't want to create traditions just for the sake of having them. I want it to be unplanned and spontaneous like the Fairy Light tradition. The only tradition I can think of in my own family growing up is eating crackers and cheese after church on Sundays. Making cut out Christmas cookies during the holidays. Can't think of anything else. What traditions do you all have? I hope I am not the only one out there who is lacking in this department.

6 comments:

Jill said...

The Fairy Light sounds like a great idea. Anything that makes the kids want to go to bed is a blessing eh? Way to go Super Mom Rob!

I feel the same way as you about our family traditions or lack thereof. I keep thinking I must just be forgetting them or something. I guess it frees us up to create our own, so that's fun.

KaylynB said...

Hi, it's been a while, but I am still alive!!! I didn't grow up with a lot of silly tradition either. Most of ours were centered around holidays. You have got me thinking about it. I would like to have more, because I think they bond people together. I love your hair cut and color. You look really good. I don't think I've seen it that short. Maybe you mentioned this in an earlier blog that I missed, but how did you get hooked up with Duncan? I am jealous of all the fun you and Lori are having. I need to go out more with my girlfriends. I have seen you me and dupree and I thought it was very funny-minus a few unneccessary scenes. I was crying from laughing so hard from the scene when he wakes the first morning with his rear end hanging out of the blanket. Cole has been practicing riding his bike without training wheels also. I hasn't gotten it down yet, but we are glad his is at least trying. I guess I better just email you directly since I am going on and on.

Anonymous said...

Rob, I LOVED imagining you doing the Fairy Light thing and Austin and Olivia being captivated by it! I'm memorizing it myself so I can do it also when you get here! "Wibbely, wobbely,boppity boo. Off with the lights (what?) and goodnight to you!" Dang, I've forgotten already.
I'm going to try to think of our traditions as I'm sure we much have had some....oh yes, we got great joy out of moving regularly every 12-18 months was one, having the missionaries over for dinner all the time, every New Years Eve writing down our three main goals for the new year, making the Guidry Special for Christmas, Pop tending and me going to the fabric store every Labor Day....pretty sad ones, I'd say. But we both came from families with none so we did pretty good, eh?

Laurie said...

Cute Robyn. We have a bedtime tradition with Clayton. Unfortunately, ours is a little more drawn out, and we have to do it every time we tuck him in. I've written about it in my own journal, but I'll have to post about it, and any other traditions I come up with.

amy gretchen said...

that is a fabulous idea. anything that works is genius in my book. well done.

i wish we had more traditions as well. adam and i have been coming up with our own for the last 6 years. my girls sure love the saturday tradition of getting bagels in the morning.

michelle said...

I am seriously lacking in the traditions department. I love the fairy light! Genius!