
It is so great to have Lori here. I am enjoying having great conversations and being able to share my world with someone who has the same perspective as me. It's difficult to discuss things with Jared sometimes b/c he is obviously a native and doesn't share my views about things. This is not necessarily always negative, just observations. Family is comforting. I really feel sorry for Lori though b/c the life of a mother is not exciting. She is just tagging along on all my daily stops- school, store, etc. She has become my extra two hands; holding the baby, buckling kids in the car, changing diapers, loading the dishwasher. Not such a holiday! It's not like we have stopped all basic activity like you normally do if someone comes for 10 days. She is here for two months so we'll be squeezing the fun stuff in between all the normal chaos. I hope she isn't running away by the time September comes. I appreciate all you are doing Lori.

Today we took Olivia to her first day of gymnastics. She ran right in! Just as I expected. She absolutely loved it. Unfortunately we couldn't see very well b/c the large gymnasium was a long, deep rectangle and the observation area was at one end with pathetic glass windows and very bright glare from the sun. Not welcoming for photos at all! Anyway, Olivia got to jump on the trampoline, swing on the uneven parallel bars (does anyone else think this is a strange name?), crawl along the balance beam and do somersaults on the floor. I am so happy that she loved it. I hope that this turns into a great activity and maybe even a skill for her in the future. I wish that she would have stayed in better form following the wonderful lesson- she was back to cranky, whinny, cheeky Olivia in no time. Man, I wish I knew how to get her out of this phase! It's exhausting. She switches it on and off in the blink of an eye.
After that we came back home for a visiting teaching appointment. Mine came to visit me- so at least I know that one companionship has done VT this month! They brought lunch of pumpkin soup and french bread. Very funny b/c pumpkin is my favorite, so I was ecstatic, but Lori HATES pumpkin. Anyway, we had a nice chat with them. I had made chocolate cake b/c I knew that it was one of the ladies' birthday this Wednesday. She seemed very pleased that I had remembered. They stayed only about an hour then we had some peace and quiet with both girls sleeping. NICE!

We picked up Austin then headed to the beach for a walk. We brought the kids' bikes and let them play at the playground. It was actually a bit chilly so we didn't stay too long. I made a stop somewhere on the way home b/c I am trying to find empty plastic containers to put "balm" in for the women this Thursday at the VT workshop. I want something for them to take home and thought I could give them each "Balm of Gilead" to remind them to soothe and comfort one another. Is that lame?? Well, I don't know where to find things like this here, so I am hunting. I hope it works out. A pharmacy said they can order 30 for me to arrive by Thursday. Yikes, that is cutting it close but my NON-creative mind just came up with this idea. What can you do?

We had some nice taco salads with homemade guacamole YUM and then had FHE about the pioneers. FHE is funny with small children. The things you have to say to get them to listen. Pictures are always required and a riveting story. Austin really seemed to like the story about the seagulls and the crickets, so I hope he got something out of it. Olivia just likes singing "Do as I'm doing" every time. We let her lead in front and it's like it's her birthday. Is it bedtime yet? Kids wipe me out.
4 comments:
The photos are adorable. I especially like the one of you and the kids and lori and ashley.
You seem so busy. I suppose when you start writing down the stuff you do it sounds exhausting. I am sure lori loves being there with you no matter what you do.
I know what you mean about FHE. I have to force myself every monday as it seems impossible with megan to have a lesson. I suppose she usually doesn't listen, but what can you do?
I think it is awesome that your sister will be with you for two months. It makes so much of a difference to share the actual daily life routine with someone, especially when you are in a new place. It makes it more real than just doing sight-seeing, if that makes sense. How exciting to have someone to laugh with about the strange cultural differences-good and bad.
For example, I saw a sign in a bathroom in Lancaster the other day that said, "Please outen the lights upon leaving." That is SO Pennsylvania Dutch. Andy didn't think it was half as funny as I did because he grew up here.
Anyway, I am so excited that you will be able to spend real, quality girl-time together.
That sounds like such a long day, I wonder how long Lori will last. That's normal life for lots of us, but I would think after working in corporate world for so long that it would be hard to switch gears so completely. It's got to be fun to be in another country and with a new niece though. It hurts every time I see pictures of Ashley.
I think your Balm of Gilead idea is a good one. I hope you get the containers in time.
That does sound like quite an exhausting day. Kids wipe me out too.
How great that your visiting teachers came and brought lunch, too! I enjoy anything with pumpkin.
I like the Balm of Gilead idea, I hope you can get your containers in time!
Post a Comment