Saturday, July 29, 2006

Byron Bay outing



Today was a gorgeous day. We headed south to Byron Bay, NSW, about an hour's drive from where we live. The kids were so excited because Jared told them we were going to the beach. Although we planned to stop at the beach, our main goal was to show Lori the picturesque, hippy town of Byron Bay.

When we first arrived in Byron Bay, we drove straight to the lighthouse. There is a history for us because that is where Jared proposed to me 7 years ago. (I wish I could post the original photo but I do not have a scanner). Anyway, it's a beautiful spot. Today was even more magnificent than I'd remembered. The water was the most amazing aquamarine color. The white waves crashing against the rocks created the most beautiful contrast.



We even saw dolphins and Lori & Jared saw a whale. I missed it! The kids had a great time except Olivia who kept freaking me out by climbing on the fences, which barely separated us from the cliff's edge and a huge dropoff. The white lighthouse is also picturesque, in its own right, but the water and the view steals the show. After a bit of a hike up and around the lighthouse, we headed back to the car. The day was very warm considering it's supposed to be the middle of winter. But maybe that was just because Olivia made me carry her up all the steps!





After piling back into the car, we drove down around the headland to the beach. It's an interesting spot b/c there is freshwater, like a small lake, right next to the ocean but divided by sand. It's a good spot with kids b/c you can let them run and play and don't have to be nervous about them in the water since it's so shallow. Lori and I had some lunch/snacks while Jared and the kids ran around and played in the sand. We hadn't worn our swimsuits since we didn't think it'd be that hot. Luckily Jared talked me into bringing the kids' suits. Ashley hung out with us- she cooed, drooled, and generally had a cute time. She is so good! After we had our fill of the beach, we packed up a whiney Olivia covered in sand. We drove into town.

We walked around the shops for a bit. There are a lot of Birkenstocks and braless women running around Byron Bay. It's a nice, laid back atmosphere. Lots of vegetarian restaurants too. I saw one place with pumpkin almond cheesecake but decided I have been on a pumpkin kick so I need to branch out. Lori and I saw some amazing chocolate cakes at one cafe and decided we needed to stop there. After placating the children with Baskin Robbins, we ordered some chocolate cheesecake- hers was Oreo and mine was Chocolate Chunk. I also got a roasted veggie quiche and Jared got Creamy Pumpkin soup (someone in the family had to keep up the tradition). Ashley had a little nap in the Bjorn while we ate and the kids covered themselves with chocolate and sugar (which we later discovered was overload when Austin drove us crazy on the way home).



Such an enjoyable time together. I love that we could drive just one hour and have fun exploring a different place with new sights and beautiful views. There are two ladies in my ward who go to Byron Bay almost every week. I guess I can see why- there are so many good restaurants and for a small town there are a lot of decent shops. It's a lovely (to use the Aussie word) place to go. I think Lori had a good time too. She got tons of great photos- I think I might want to frame a few of hers.

She is now sleeping on the couch after discovering that TV in Australia is AS BAD as I told her it was. Sorry, but it's true. I have sticky buns in the oven - we had to make them for Jared before he leaves on his trip tomorrow. I get to go to the airport at 5 am. Apparently I am NEVER meant to catch up on sleep.

Congratulations Jamie on your new baby boy, Ewan Andrew Coy!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Those pictures are beautiful. You're actually making me want to see Australia for myself (but that's a long way to go just for cheesecake, I jest).

michelle said...

That third photo is absolutely gorgeous. The cheesecake doesn't look half bad, either!