Wednesday, May 31, 2006

USA foods


My mother and father in law have been in Melbourne this week visiting Jared's younger sister, Lauren. There is a store near her called USA foods. They sell just about anything you can think of... Hidden Valley Ranch packets, Captain Crunch cereal, A&W rootbeer, Betty Crocker cake mix, etc. All the lovely foods that you can't buy here. When I heard that Lauren lives near this store, I got online and looked at the
  • USA Foods website
  • to see what I might like Mum and Dad to bring back for me. Well, you wouldn't believe the prices. A packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing is like $4.00. Granted, that is AUS dollars, but it's still $3 US for one packet. I guess it just depends how bad you want it. There were quite a few things there I would have loved to get, but what I really wanted was canned pumpkin. Yes, I know, most people would not have pumpkin at the top of the list, but I like it that much. So tonight Dad brought a couple cans back for me and now I can't decide what I should make... pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread, pumpkin dip, pumpkin cheesecake, oh the list goes on and on. Britney, you would understand. I also got Log Cabin syrup (Yum), Reese's bites- notice they are already open- and A&W Rootbeer. Can't wait to make some rootbeer floats. It's funny the things you miss from home. I remember on my mission in Thailand, one of my companions and I would go out of our way in Bangkok to a store that sold Kellogg's Corn Pops. Man, you never knew cereal could taste that good! What do you think you would miss the most if you lived outside the US?

    7 comments:

    TX Girl said...

    I thought I read your sister is coming to visit? You should make her pack a 2nd suitcase of just foods you miss.

    I have never lived out of the country, so I have no idea what isn't available worldwide. Although- I would be horrified not to have Libby pumpkin.. ummm pumpkin muffins.

    By the by- Australia is one of those the one place in the world you really, really, really want to visit- like a dream vacations for me.

    Jamie said...

    I know that I missed root beer a ton while on my mission in Thailand. One of the most tragic "food" days was, while after a dentist appointment in Bangkok, my comp and I went to probably the only A&W in Thailand to get some lunch. I ordered a root beer float. I guess I must have been dreaming about drinking it too much because I tripped on the way to my seat. My precious root beer float spilled all over the floor. I was so bummed. They wouldn't give me another one and I didn't have enough money to buy another one. It was a sad day. I thought about that root beer the entire train trip back to Korat.

    amy gretchen said...

    I think its very funny that you chose pumpkin. That would not be on the top of the list for me, but good to know its on yours.

    This post makes me realize how much we take it for granted...the tastes that we are familiar with. How food can really be comforting and remind us of home. I am excited for you to be able to experience a taste of home.

    Jill said...

    You never said they didn't have Ranch there--that's another deal breaker along with the man-sized spiders. Sheesh. Why didn't you say so? I could have included some ranch in the 8-10 weeks to deliver birthday present I sent. Good grief. I had no idea you were suffering so much. I will get right on that. You're on your own with the pumpkin though.

    Anonymous said...

    I love so many foods it is hard to think of something right off hand. Lately I have been craving Sonic Limeade and coffee flavored Nips. I don't buy very many things that are pre-packaged/ready made, so I would hope that they have good stuff to make things with. I mean german chocolate cake doesn't have exotic stuff, but then again, I don't think canned pumpkin is that strange. McDonald's soft serve ice cream too, that stuff is good.

    Laurie said...

    Oh yum. We took our honeymoon to England and France, and I remember walking the streets in search of treats when the hershey kisses I had brought started to run out. There just doesn't seem to be the kind of candy and soda we are used to here when I have traveled in Europe. I'm sure I also just don't know where to find it either, but I really put up a search. So, I would be mostly missing the sweets we have here b/c I can adapt to other different kinds of food if I can apply the sweet tooth part. I wish you much happy munching.

    michelle said...

    This brings back memories of living in Paris. There is so much good food there, but we still missed some things from home. Peanut butter was the main thing, since my kids live on that stuff. We went to a little tiny store called Thanksgiving that sold American foods. A can of Pam cost about $11. Max was with me and he wanted everything in the store: fruit roll-ups, cracker jacks, kool-aid, none of which we usually buy at home. But I had to veto it all because it was so dang expensive!