
Austin and Olivia have been focusing on their chores in order to earn new bikes. We had found that the chore charts usually went over well the first few days or week, then kind of dwindled. We wanted the chores to become habit. Just last night they finally completed the whole chart. Jared put their bikes together and they rode around in the garage after their bath. They were so excited. It was really fun to see them working towards something and setting a goal.

We came up with some little chores that they each could do daily like make bed, get dressed, set table, etc. They got one check for each of those things. On days that they did ALL of their chores, they were able to fill a block in the 'tower' on the other chart to work towards a bike. If they did not do all of the jobs for the day, they could not fill in a block in the tower. Once the tower was full, they got the bike. Luckily, they both worked about equally and both earned their bikes on the same day. This could be a disaster if one child was motivated and the other wasn't.

It was amazing to see how excited they got to do their chores! We never even expected or predicted that. Olivia would say, "Mom, do you want me to help you do laundry?" I think it made her feel really big. Austin was excited to sweep the floor too... well, for the first few days that is. Then it kind of turned into "Mom, this is too hard." I had to just say "Do your best, Austin". He'd say the same thing about making his bed. I would remind him that it didn't have to be perfect and he would usually do ok. Funny how he focused on that part of it whereas Olivia was just happy to be doing it herself (typical 3 yr old). I think Austin, unfortunately, has learned at school to compare and to see who does better and to feel discouraged if it's not just right. The whole point was to boost their confidence and help them to see that they can help around the house and more importantly, that they can earn something when they work hard.

Now we need to come up with a different reward for them to work towards. Do you guys think that kids should just be expected to do chores, and NOT be rewarded? What kinds of rewards do you think are appropriate for kids this age? Have you found job charts to be effective?
7 comments:
I think incentives like that are good because it gives the kids something to look forward to while learning how to work. We use the marble jars which work well because they are earning marbles which they get to trade in for cool treats and prizes. Also, Landon's book chart has rewards through in every 25 books or so. Last week he read his 167th book since last summer and got to choose an action figure at Walmart. I need to make a big chart like that for Whitney to help her with cleaning up because the trails she leaves all over the place are killing me.
I use a train track leading to the Thomas train station and have my e year old son put the different Thomas trains on it. I found them online, printed and laminated them. He gets to put a train on for doing things happily without protests (going on a walk with me, getting dressed, teeth brushing, nap, eating dinner, etc). If he does this without protesting, he gets the train. When he reaches the station he gets to go for ice cream or yogurt. Same with the second time. And each time he gets to put the station master on the station. At the third time, he wins a new Thomas train. It seems to be working. Something he likes and can relate to - so that even earning the train is exciting.
Published that too fast - I meant 3 year old son. And I meant that as he earns each train along the track he is excited.
I love the book the parenting breakthrough, you can get it at Deseret Book. Anyway it has a great view on chores, and a break down for ages and what to teach. I am a huge chore person, I believe that working will instill a great self esteem. I have regular chores/and than money chores. Just like for me when I earn things after working hard I feel great, so too for kids. Each money chore is worth a certain amount of money. We talk about making a list with the kids on what the really want, than saving for it. It helps them learn that money just does not appear in mom's purse. I also am loving this Childrens miracle music. It is music that helps kids do things in a timely manner, since my two don't understand time frames. It is a game and when they earn 100 points they get a date with mom or dad. So excited for your kids, I bet they are beaming today.
I find my plans/charts as effective as I am...if I am consistent they work.
We have regular chores that have to be done before the kids can play with friends, do Nintendo, etc. Then we have extra chores they can do to earn extra money.
I searched online for chore charts and found several sites that had age-appropriate chores. That helped me to decide what things to put on our lists. Congrats to your kids and their new bikes!
I am glad to see that Austin still has training wheels. We are getting concerned about Cole because he has NO desire to learn to ride his bike without training wheels. My kids are getting an allowance in accordance to how well they do their job chart. I am tired of them asking for things every time we go shopping, so now they have to use their own money. I am finding that they are more than willing to do their jobs as long as I am diligent in asking them and remembering myself. Some days are better than others.
Post a Comment