
On Saturday we went to a fair in Southport, about 20 minutes away, just across the water from Sea World. It was put on by the Restaurant Association of QLD, so there was tons of good food, bands playing, and free stuff for kids. Since Jared was out of town, I needed something to fill up our day that was kid friendly. The thought of sitting around the house all weekend with three kids was not only unappetizing but downright frightful! I was a bit apprehensive going in as I was a lone parent with three small children, but I decided to risk it.


It turned out to be a fun time. The kids just loved the balloons that the crazy clown lady twisted up for them. Austin got a sword and Olivia a flower. We later went back because they naturally popped their balloons within about 20 min. They also had their faces painted. Austin was a pirate (he just happened to be wearing the bandana from his Woody costume that day) and Olivia was... I am not quite sure, actually. Some kind of clown, mime, fairy combo. She was happy to have 'makeup' on anyway, and kept puckering her lips all day.


The food choices looked fantastic to me. Indian, Thai, Greek, Malaysian, Turkish, you name it. They also had fish and chips, deli style, mexican, etc. I tried to talk my kids into Indian, to no avail. I had a great vegetarian Samosa- YUM- but they opted for popsicles, french fries, and cotton candy. I know, really nutritious. I figured it was a fun day out, so why not let them choose? I am usually very uptight about the nutrition factor, so this was a big step for me.

The weather was surprisingly cool. I usually make fun of people who wear sweaters and scarves around here b/c the winter weather only gets down to like 65 during the day. However, it was breezy since we were right on the water, and overcast. Luckily I had Olivia and Ashley in jackets and long pants. Austin had insisted on shorts so he sat in the stroller and stole Ashley's blanket part of the time. I really like my stroller, by the way. I have never seen this style in the States. It's like a jogging stroller but has a seat that clips on the front for a toddler. So, if I have both Ashley and Olivia, I can fit both. If I just have Ashley while I am out, no need for the seat. It's the best of both worlds (in contrast to a double stroller). Once in a while, Austin insists on sitting in the seat and since he's so small for his age (about 35 lbs at 5 1/2 yrs), I let him. Ashley likes the Bjorn better than the stroller anyway, so everyone's happy.
3 comments:
that is a big flower! WOW. How exciting...sometimes when we let fear/lazyness/undicisiveness things that are really fun are missed. Glad you had a good time, and I think it is fabulous to have them play and have a great day outside instead of being at home (same day routine kind of thing).
Way to push through the pain of being alone for the weekend and taking them to do something fun. How awesome that your winter weather means 65 degrees! That's great. I love seeing pictures from the things you do, so thanks for posting them.
I love knowing how things are going and what you guys are doing in AU. The photos are great. I am impressed you took the kids without jared...especially with 3 kids. I find it very difficut to do because i don't have 3 hands. I am glad you went. It's so good to get out and do something. So good for them to see we can be fun.
Post a Comment