Monday, June 12, 2006

Naughty chair

Today we were getting ready to go to the beach for a walk when Jared called me over to come see something. I went over to where he was pointing, the wall near the garage door, and found this on the wall:



I don't know if you can tell, but it says "AUS" then "Olivia". Austin immediately says, "It was Olivia." I felt the urge to laugh but supressed it due to the gravity of the matter. He was obviously lying since Olivia can't even spell her own name, let alone write it herself.

We sent him to the naughty chair until we were ready to go- about 15 minutes. I don't know what Supernanny Jojo would say about this one, but we felt it was worth more than 5 minutes. We also added three days without TV. Is that too strict? Amy, what did you end up doing about Tess lying? It's so sad, isn't it? I guess it was the fact that he not only wrote on the wall but also lied about it. Can't believe my little Austin did this.



I shouldn't talk because I was a HORRIBLE child who constantly lied and did naughty things all the time. I don't know why I was so bad. I claim the "middle child syndrome" on that one. My sister, Lori, is just 16 months younger than me so I think I never quite got all of the time and attention that I needed. (sorry, Mom, not your fault) That's my theory anyway. So now it all comes back to me. We are used to Olivia lying, such as, "Yes Mommy, I washed my hands after I went potty". However, Austin is another story. He has always been my sweet, placid, obedient child.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Great pictures Robyn, so funny. I think 15 minutes is good, and I agree that it's a bigger deal that he lied about it. Do you guys have Magic Erasers there? That would get the crayon off no problem. Did you have him clean it off?

michelle said...

I'm glad you documented the incident with photos. Nothing gets me like my kids lying to me. Do they think I don't know when they're doing it? It's so much worse than whatever they're lying about...

amy gretchen said...

I don't know much about the naughty chair, but I do know I just went through this with Tess and Megan. Of course Tess lied right to my face after I told her to go to her room and think about who drew on the wall. I was shocked and just stood there when she told me Megan didi it. I gave her the choice to clean it up or pay me to do it. She choose to pay me and my cost was pretty steep. One of her pretty dresses in her dress up box did the trick. It was actually a big deal to her as well that she had to tell her dad what shse did. She does not want to disappoint. She is doing much better sense then about the lying thing. I am hoping its just a phase.

I suppose we all kind of go throught this in our own little way. They must be testing us. Kids are very cleaver. The picture is very funny

KaylynB said...

We just went through a lying thing with cole yesterday. He lied about taking the remote out of Rich's truck. We, however, totally failed at making it a teaching moment. Rich threatened that we wouldn't go to see "Cars" for FHE. He spent a little while in his room and then he apologized to Rich and we DID go to the movie tonight. I don't think he learned his lesson because we didn't really punish him. Oh well. Yet another failed parenting moment. I hope my children turn out alright.

Bond Girl 007 said...

OH my...my three year old got a marker...thought i had them out of limits...and painted on the wall/window....I was so in shock (still am) but that day I was cleaning the garage so I did give him any atention but was speechless on what to do....then reacted and did the naughty steps...but I don't know if he gets it... I am still more worried about where to hide things!