
So I found out one of my birthday presents early... I get 8 weeks of Thai cooking classes! Tonight is the first class, so they had to tell me early. Jared's sisters, Katherine and Lauren, along with Mum (and Dad) chipped in together. Sorry Mom and Pop, I now know that you two went in on this too. I appreciate your contribution. What a great idea. It's something I never would have done on my own, even if I had heard about it. I can't wait to learn how to make some great Thai dishes. Getting away every Wednesday evening from 7-9 and eating the 3 course meal at the end of the class won't be bad either. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving! The teacher is a native Thai who is reportedly opening a restaurant soon in the area here. I hope I can brush up on my Thai skills as well! Sawadii khaa!
Just for an update on this post.... I ended up being out until midnight because the two other girls I rode with to the class are chatty chatty types from my ward. We went to McD's after the class and talked. I got all the info on my ward in one night, pretty much! The class was good. We had some soup that she had made before we got there and we learned how to make spring rolls. YUM. She is not actually Thai herself, she is Australian, but her husband is from Bangkok. He grew up working in his family's restaurant since he was like 3. She is a professional caterer and her restaurant will be opening in July. We're all invited to a pre-opening night to sample the food. Sounds good to me. The class was fun- it costs $240, which is actually discounted since we got 8 people to sign up at once. I obviously wasn't in on that part, since it was a surprise, but it turns out it's like 6 women from our ward, 1 from our stake and 1 is Austin's primary teacher's daughter. Looking forward to next week's class.
5 comments:
that is such a great idea. i love gifts like that too. how great will that be to get out of the house and do something just for you. very thoughtful.
i look forward to trying thai food robyn style.
I'm not keen on Thai food, but I know you love it so I'm happy for you to be getting such a fun and thoughtful gift. Eight weeks of class will be therapeutic and fun, especially if you need to leave the house a early to "run some errands" alone. Maybe you'll end up wanting to take another kind of class when this one is over, to keep this good, weekly outing thing going. Keep us updated on what you're learning and take you camera with you.
How fun! You'll have to share some of the tips you learn. Hopefully, you won't be cooking with "padag" or anything like that.
And that's a great idea to take your camera with you. You'll have to post your first creation!
Oh how covetous. I love Thai food. That sounds like a fabulous gift!
Lori, of course you are right... but Jared said when the idea was presented, he said "yes", so it really came down to him. I don't mind.
Post a Comment