Friday, August 27, 2010

Love-Hate Relationship


Ever since Ashley was born, Olivia has been smothering her. Olivia just can't keep her hands off. She always wants to do things for Ashley, tell her what to do, show her how to do it, etc. Ashley is a strong and confident girl. She does not like people doing things for her. She will dive into something totally new without thinking twice. So, over the years, Ashley has learned how to make her voice heard (and how!) as Olivia continues to try and take over. They definitely have their moments.



But once... once in a while... things go smoothly. Sometimes they play fabulously. Sometimes they hug and kiss each other. Sometimes they hold hands as they go off to play with friends. Sometimes they build a fort or have a picnic together. Lately, they sleep together in Olivia's bed nearly every night. When these moments happen, I have to document it, like this day they were playing so nicely in their room. I try to remind them how lucky they are to have a sister. I tell them that their sister should be their best friend. I tell them that their friends might come and go, but a sister is forever. I hope they remember.

No comments: