Sunday, May 02, 2010

Women's Conference


On Friday I had the chance to go to the BYU Women's Conference for the first time! With two kids in a full day of school and my sweet friend, Jamie, watching Ashley, I could attend classes and see what it's all about. I met my mom around 8:15 am and we headed down to the opening session at the Marriott Center. 

(the view outside the Marriott Center)

Sisters Sylvia H. Allred and Barbara Thompson of the Relief Society General Presidency spoke about charity work and humanitarian efforts. It made me so proud to be part of a church having such a huge impact world wide. They talked about donating wheelchairs in the Dominican Republic, water pumps in small villages, immunizations, hand made quilts in Ukraine, and more. It was hard to keep my emotions at bay- the stories were so touching and inspiring. Elder Holland said, "We are answering people's prayers." 


After the first session, we headed to a class down at the Smith Field house. This one was about Communication and Marriage. I have to admit it was a little disappointing, but there were some nuggets of wisdom mixed in there, such as "Marriage is made up of countless repititions of small acts of sacrifice, and some large ones." And an Arab proverb that goes "A friend is one who we can pour out all contents of one's heart, chaff and grain, together, knowing that the gentlest of hands will sift it out... keeping what is worth keeping, and, with the breath of kindness, blow the rest away." 

After that class, we grabbed a quick lunch at Legends Grille and thought about heading up on campus to something else. But with the time crunch, we decided to stay on for the next class in the Field house. It was packed- something about having a "Merry Heart" and finding humor in life. "A good laugh is sunshine in a house." It was pretty good, though one of the speakers seemed to think he was channeling Jim Carrey and it got a little strange at times. 


After that class was over, we climbed the wall of stairs up to the main campus. I got a flood of memories as I walked from the RB and Field house towards the library... All my classes were down in those buildings and I worked at the library copy center, so it was like I was back in the old days, following my daily route. Can't believe it was 15 years ago! Man, time flies. Of course the library is a completely different building now- I wouldn't even know my way around.

(Jill took this photo after I tried a couple of pathetic self portraits with Mom and Lori- I don't have the skills! Hence I am laughing at myself...)

We made it to the Wilk and headed to the Varsity Theater for Amy's class. Wahoo! We were all so excited for her. All day as I looked at the class schedule, I would glance down at Amy's name on the roster and get this swell in my heart and tears in my eyes. I guess I was proud of her. I knew how hard she had worked on this talk and I couldn't wait to hear it. Jill was there with some of her friends, Lori was there, and my brother, Adam, was there to hear his wife speak. Also, some of Amy's friends and her sister in law, Amy.


Just before the class began, Jill said we should move down since there was one empty seat in our row. So we all slid down and left a seat on the end next to Adam. Well who ended up coming in a moment later but the prophet's daughter, Sister Ann Dibb, who is the 2nd counselor in the Young Women's General Presidency. She knows Adam and Amy from their ward in SLC. I told Jill she must have been inspired. Apparently Sister Dibb told Adam at the end of the session, "I just love Amy!" 


And I could see why. Amy did a fantastic job. She was one of three women who spoke on "She Worketh Willingly with her Hands" by Elder Uchtdorf (Gen. Conf. October 2008). Amy is the perfect person to speak on this subject because she is an amazing creator with her hands- she seems to be able to master every art with ease. (She would probably disagree, but this is the way it seems from the outside) She can quilt, knit, scrapbook, blog, bake and cook, she's an amazing photographer, digital designer, painter, book binder... you name it. It's really annoying! But you have to love her b/c she is so humble and her focus of this talk was not "Look what I can do!" In fact, she didn't show any photos of her own works (sadly) but instead emphasized how each of us can and should create, so that we can be more like our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ. Even Christ created with his hands- he was a carpenter. 

She said, "Every woman has been endowed with distinctive gifts." In this aspect, we are like Him. Even though we might not feel like we're talented, there is a learning curve and we should pursue hobbies and learn to create and find our gifts. She said, "It's the doing, or creating, that is the hardest piece of the puzzle. Remember the Parable of the Talents, you must use your talents!" And not only that, use them to bless others. President Hinckley said, "Your potential is limitless... accept the challenge!"

As she said that last quote, I thought about how she had accepted the challenge to speak and how well she did! I know it was difficult, but like she said in her talk, "The most meaningful things in our lives are the hardest." Great job, Amy!


As we left the Wilk, the rain had stopped, the sun was out, and I caught this evidence of Spring... despite the chilly temperature in the 40s!


Speaking at the closing session were Elder Dallin H. Oaks and his wife, Kristen. Sister Oaks talked about our choices and how we reap what we sow. She said "A lifetime of good choices will protect you." When you are obedient and trying to do what is right, the Lord will help you and strengthen you. Elder Oaks talked about how our world is becoming more and more self-indulgent and godless. He talked about Sinatra's song, "I Did it My Way" and said that individuals in the Celestial, or highest kingdom of heaven, will be singing, "I Did it God's Way".  He also talked about service and how it should be done for the right reasons- not to be praised or honored by others. He quoted Matthew 16 and said we should lose our personal interests for the sake of others. Even parents who think they are serving their children by pushing them to get a scholarship, excel in sports or music, etc. need to ask self why they are doing it. Is it really for the child or is it for themself? He talked about how as parents we need to help our kids resist this self-absorbed way of thinking and teach them to value families and serving others. We need to be a good example to kids and teach the Proclamation on the Family to reinforce these concepts. At the end he said, "Never forget who is in charge... Trust in the Lord." 

4 comments:

Diana said...

my sister came into town for Women's conference. I have always wanted to attend but with the kids it just doesn't make sense right now.
I did work at the concert on Thursday night. That was fun to be a part of.

Jamie said...

That sounds like such a fun conference! I've never been, but I think this is something I need to add to my to-do list, especially w/my mom. How cool that your SIL got to speak? What an exciting thing for your family!
Happy, Happy Belated Birthday!!!! :)

amy gretchen said...

thank you so much for coming. I loved having all of you there. I can't tell you what a comfort it was to look out and see all of you. You would think it would be harder to speak in front of people you know, but for me it was so much easier.

It's so crazy to see you quoting me and remembering the amount of time I spent thinking about all those words.

thanks robyn.

crystal said...

Hi Robyn! I'm your sister Jill's blogfriend & popped over on a whim...I'm so glad I did! I love your Women's Conf recap. I will never, EVER listen to that Sinatra song again without hearing "I did it God's way!" Love that! Forevermore, that will make me giggle.

And. You & your mother are beautiful! You look like sisters--TWIN sisters. Well, okay, almost. Both of you are gorgeous and seriously, your mom must have a secret fountain of youth in her backyard.

xo Crystal