Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful

(I am thankful for a holiday that reminds me to be thankful. I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for good health; my own, my husband, and children's good health (esp since we have no health insurance!). I am thankful to live in a free country. I am thankful to be a woman who can work, vote, be a mom, do whatever I want. I am thankful for Jesus Christ in my life. I am thankful for His gospel which gives my family a foundation, which keeps me aware of who I am and who I want to be, keeps me constantly striving to be better. I am thankful for a warm home. I am thankful for the ability to see, hear, taste, touch, walk, run... to live. I am thankful to have no debt. I am thankful for beautiful mountains and trees covered with colorful leaves. I am thankful for pumpkin, pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, peanut butter, spinach, yogurt, all fruits and veggies... my favorite things to eat. I am thankful for internet. I am thankful for blankets, coats, my favorite cozy hoodie that keeps me warm. I am thankful for friends, bookclub, blogs, and those who support me and show love to me. I am thankful for books- I can't imagine my life without them! I am thankful for my ipod, Mizuno running shoes, and Extra gum- I couldn't run without them. I am thankful for HOT showers- I hate getting out! I am thankful for cinnamon, tumeric, cumin, cilantro, coriander, ginger, allspice, garlic, and all the other things that make my food taste good and give it flavor. I am thankful for an oven, stove, fridge, microwave, electricity, indoor plumbing, washer and DRYER that allow me to be efficient in my home, keep it clean, and take care of my family. I am thankful for 3 beautiful children who give me hugs and kisses, who want to play with me, want to climb in my bed and cuddle with me, want me to read them books, sing, play games, bake cookies, make dinner, and watch movies with them (please don't let this stop anytime soon!) I am thankful for a husband who unloads the dishwasher, cleans up the mess in the kitchen after I've done my damage, takes care of kids while I am at bookclub or having a girls' night out, vacuums and folds laundry, works hard and tries to be a good Dad. Thankful for the priesthood he holds and the protection he gives to our family. and lastly, I'm thankful that I can play Christmas music now that Thanksgiving is over!!!  



9 comments:

Diana said...

Yay for being able to listen to christmas music!
I love this post its so thoughtful. Being grateful for the little things really makes life worth living.

Anonymous said...

Do you not consider William as one of your children? My daughter Atticyn died still born but she is still my daughter. Greysyn, Emersyn, Atticyn, Maicyn, and Andersyn are all my daughters. Even though Atticyn is in heaven.

Britney said...

Such a good gratitude list. You have a lot to be thankful for -- thanks for sharing it with us.

Heidi said...

I loved reading your list of things you are thankful for and I especially love that you included spices in your list! :) You are such a foodie!

I am thankful for you & your friendship!

ps I hope I am not out of line but I have to comment about what anonymous said. I too lost a baby still born and yes I consider Corwin to be one of my children but I don't typically say that I have 6 children, i say I have 5.

He does and always will hold a special place in my heart. His death is also an immensely private part of my life and one I don't typically talk about with everyone. I would hope that because I don't say I have 6 children that I am judged or in this case Robyn is judged to not consider him my son.

I love you Robyn!

Robyn said...

Anonymous, I am not sure who you are... I was confused when you mentioned William b/c I don't have a child named William. Thomas is definitely part of our family and I surely consider him my son. However, like Heidi mentioned, I don't usually (when speaking to just anyone/everyone) count Thomas and say that I have 4 children. Because it's a subject dear to my heart and I share that with people when I feel comfortable.

Robyn said...

Anonymousyn,
You seriously went there and didn't have the gumption to leave your name?!
There are some of us who have lost a child who don't need to lay it all out for the rest of the world to know. Some things remain private and sacred and from your anonymity why would we want to share that with you!
Sorry Rob, had to jump in.

Unknown said...

FYI- that last comment was me

Anonymous said...

I am very truly sorry. . . I didn't mean to mix up the name. But I also just guess that everyone takes everything different. I perfer to talk about Atticyn. My older girs Greysyn(6) and Emersyn(5) wish they got to know Maicyns(3) twin. And Andersyn(21 days and extremely sick in NICU) doesn't know anything about Atticyn. I just think of it being easier to cope with my daughter by talking about it. I know how hard it is. I am really sorry. it was out of my place and i think i only wrote it because I was mad. I lost my fourth daughter and my fifth daughter, will be a true miracle if she makes it. I just want all my children here and i dont know why i can't. I am only 24 and have five girls. Its way to much and then bearing the death factor on my shoulder is so hard. I am sorry to you and your family. please forgive me.
gretchen myers

Robyn said...

Gretchen, I wish I had your email so I could respond more privately... but thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear about your loss and especially that your newest baby is still in NICU (we spent 7 weeks there with Austin, our surviving twin). I can't imagine being just 24 and already going through so much trauma. I know it is a difficult thing to go through and I definitely agree it's healthy to talk about it. I guess we all decide for ourselves where and when that is appropriate. I have a number of friends who have been through it and I have learned that we all deal with it differently. So there is no offense taken and no feelings hurt. I hope that your little Andersyn makes it- I'll be praying for her and for your family. Feel free to email me at rakenhead25 at hotmail dot com if you want. I think it's important for us women who have been through this to stick together and support one another. It's one positive thing we can get out of these experiences. Take care!