Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Austin!



It's 12:11 am. Eight years ago, at this very moment, I laid down to go to sleep, on the eve of Christmas Eve. I had found out a week previous that one of our twin sons had passed away in utero, most likely due to twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (where one twin does not get enough nourishment and ceases to thrive and develop). I started to count our surviving son's movements. I had been doing that three times a day all week, making sure that Austin was okay. Each time I had done so, I was quickly able to count 10-15 kicks or movements in just a few minutes. However, this time there was nothing. After 2 hours, the time limit set by the doctors, I had felt only 3-4 movements, and therefore became increasingly frantic. I finally woke Jared and told him that something was wrong. We called the hospital and ended up driving in to American Fork at about 3 am. After what seemed like forever, I was taken into an emergency C-section at 9 am. The doctors had done some ultrasounds and could not tell why Austin wasn't moving. Once the operation was underway, they could see that he was wrapped up in the umbilical cord about 20 times. We almost lost him.

Today I am so thankful to be celebrating my son's birthday. I am so thankful that we went into the hospital during the middle of the night and that the doctors made the decision they did. I am so thankful that he is so healthy, bright, and perfect. Christmas Eve is a very special day for our family.

Happy Birthday Austin!!!

11 comments:

Carrie said...

What an amazing story. I had no idea. Happy Birthday, Austin!

Jill said...

Happy birthday to your miracle man!!

Shauna said...

Happy Birthday to this special little guy and a day to celebrate a very courageous Mom.

Heidi said...

I know that terrible feeling of panic. What a scary time for you and Jared -- especially after the lost of your other little boy.

How wonderful it is that you have that beautiful boy to wrap your arms around each Christmas.

Happy Birthday Austin! You have a beautiful and strong mother.

Cecilia said...

What a touching story! I got all teared up!
Happy Birthday to your miracle baby Austin!

Natasha said...

Thank you for posting this Christmas miracle story! Happy b'day to Austin.

KaylynB said...

How long have we been friends and I've never heard the part of the story about him being wrapped in the umbilical cord! I'm so glad everything was alright and Austin is here!

Jamie said...

Every time I hear that story I am still just absolutely amazed. He truly is a Christmas Miracle. :) Robyn, you are an amazing mother!

michelle said...

Oh, so good that you listened to your instincts, Robyn! Christmas Eve will always be particularly special for you.

michelle said...

I didn't see the Santa photo before! That is priceless.

amy gretchen said...

I remember this night so well since we were all sleeping over at your parents house. I am so grateful that you listened to your intuition and that we have Austin here today. It wouldn't be the same.

Happy Birthday Dude!