The little aprons were so cute. On the way there last night I was thinking, I should have bought 10 kits and made these for gifts for my nieces and friends. However, after a couple hours of working on the aprons, I changed my mind. They are so cute, but much harder than they looked! The ruffles require a lot of time and there were naturally some glitches with the machines, bobbins, etc. Add a dinner break and I barely got one apron finished last night! I did get a lot of prep work done for the other one, though. I just have to pull the ruffles and stitch them on, then do the neck and waist ties. (see, this sounds easy doesn't it?)
When I showed my girls today, they were so excited to wear the aprons. Olivia laid claim on the pink cupcake one and Ashley was happy to accept the orange and green one, my favorite. I tried it on Ashley (minus the neck strap) and wrapped it around her tiny waist. It was so cute- don't you agree?
I will have to do another post with the specific instructions and dimensions so that anyone who wants to make these cute aprons can do so. They only charged us $7 each to make these aprons, but I am sure they could be done for even less using your own scraps and fabric you might have at home.
The other craft I signed up for was the Advent Tin. You purchase a 24 mini muffin tin and make a magnetic square to cover each opening. Decorate the square with cute paper, buttons, and other embellishments, and you have the cutest advent calendar ever!
I haven't even started this one. The people working on this project seemed to be just as consumed as I was with the aprons, so I assume it takes a while too. But with this one, it seems like you could simplify it and make it a very quick project if you wanted to. By just cutting out the 24 squares of magnet and adding a little paper or sticker to each one, it could be finished very fast. I, however, love the finished product with all of the cute stuff added. Luckily, they are going to organize a craft day at someone's house for us to do later.
My mom chose to make this sign for her house:
And also these soap bottles with some church themes on them. One has the Be's on it and the other says "I'm going there someday" and has a photo of the SLC temple.
You could also choose to make a custom clock for your home. It was at least 2-3 feet in diameter. They painted the background a marble type finish with taupe and ivory paints. The numbers were Roman numerals. Then, they used vinyl lettering to add the last name and Est. 1990 (or whatever) in the middle. They looked pretty nice.
I had a pretty good time, but barely got to chat with anyone since I was so intent on finishing (or getting somewhere) on my project. I have so much respect for the people who put together these activities b/c I know they take so much work. Gathering the money from everyone, putting together kits, making sure all the pieces are there for each one, etc. Thank you to Rachelle and Susan (even though you might not ever read this) for doing all of that. There was also a service project that a woman in our ward organized gathering quilts to donate to a center for teens. Does anyone remember when I sewed those 2 quilts in the summer? Now they are collecting them and we have 30 so far. We also put together stockings for Toys for Tots and another charity organization. It feels good to be a part of the largest women's organization in the world!
11 comments:
looks like another successful RS craft night! I think the aprons are so cute and I am seriously going to copy the advent calendar idea--what a great idea!
Wowy Zowy! That is a great craft night!! I love the projects they offered. ESPECIALLY THOSE APRONS -- I'M IN LOVE!!! They turned out so cute I can't wait to make one or two, or three.... :) I also think the advent calendar was really cute -- I need a good advent calendar. Sounds like you had a great time.
P.S. Did I mention I love those aprons!?!!! :)
Your ward always does the best craft night projects! We don't do that in my ward here.
I think the aprons are darling, but definitely look hard to make. The advent tin is a cute idea, I usually just buy the .99 cent ones from the grocery store, but this is a much cuter idea. Maybe this will be a Creative Friday project.
Those aprons are so lovely. The girls will both look like little cupcakes! I think I will need one too. Are you up for a lesson?
Advent calendar too! Do you hang it? or rest it in a frame somehow?
Great idea for a Christmas advent.
I am glad to hear that you finished at least one thing Friday night. I have several 1/2 finished homemaking craft projects sitting downstairs. I'm sure I'll never finish them, but I can't throw them out because I paid for them. Also, I am thrilled that you are about to start Twilight. Don't analyze it too much, just enjoy it for what it is.
Robyn, I love both of these ideas! I can't sew to save my life but the advent tin looks do-able to me. Thanks for sharing!
LOVE these ideas. I thing you will have to teach us how to make the aprons. And like everyone has said the advent is a great idea too. I think I'll have to copy it!
How cute are those crafts...I was thinking I need to do an advent calendar, I may just have to sneak that idea--and alas if only I had girls I would sneak that apron idea too. if only ;)
Love the advent calendar. We always get the Trader Joes advent calendar, but I think this year we can skip the candy and have something meaning full in the muffin tin.
That looks like it was a fun Super Saturday. (Andy has forbidden those two words in our house since our super saturday last month. I was in charge and almost had a nervous breakdown, but everything always works out in the end, right?)
I love those aprons, though. They are so adorable. I love love love my boys, but sometimes I think it would be fun to make things like that for a little girl. :) That advent calendar is a really good idea. What are you going to fill it with? I'm looking for idea to fill mine with besides just candy.
Thanks for sharing all the craft ideas!
very cute aprons oh my they are darling.
Post a Comment