Thursday, September 25, 2008

Soccer Champ



I know I keep talking about our victories this week, but there has been yet another one in our household. Austin scored a goal at soccer!

My sweet boy has been playing soccer every year for about 4-5 years now, depending on whether you count Pee Wee soccer and the years that they play "Bunch Ball" and don't know what they're doing. He has always loved it. He is a fast little runner and people are always surprised with how tough he is, given his size (he's 7 and about the size of a 5 year old). His team in Australia nicknamed him the "Bulldog".

He played in the city league during Spring. But his coach organized a new team for this Fall, a competitive team that plays other teams in Northern Utah County. There were tryouts for the team. Austin wasn't invited to try out, and that was ok. However, at the end of the summer the coach called and asked him to be on the team, without trying out. We told him it was going to be harder and more competitive.



He often plays defense and doesn't really get up to the front line. However, he told his coach this season that he wants to play forward. Now you've got to understand that his team is very, very good. They are the most talented 7-8 year olds I have seen. They are currently ranked #1 in their league, the Northern Utah County Soccer league. I love my son to death, but he is not the star of the team. So for his coach to put him in can be a trial of faith. I have told Austin he has to prove himself and show his coach that if he plays forward, it's going to pay off. I know this is a big lesson for a 7 1/2 year old, but I am not really into holding the kids' hands and letting everyone be a "winner". I think by this age they've got it figured out anyway. They can see that the kid who scores gets alot of playing time, and those who don't play hard or score, don't.

So I have been hoping since the start of the season, that Austin would make a goal and show his coach that he can play with the big boys. Some of the members of his team score 5 goals in a game, or more. Most of our games have been 10-0 or 7-0. We have never lost a game, we have tied once.



Well wouldn't you know it, the game I can't attend b/c of a baby shower- AUSTIN SCORES!!! Luckily, Jared was there and saw the big event. I guess he had a great game, played very aggressively and made a goal. Almost two, according to Austin. I promised him a Happy Meal if he scored, so when he called me after the game to tell me the news, I happily told him Dad would take him to McDonald's. He was so excited and couldn't wait to tell me how it happened. I loved listening to him describe how he shot the goal and all the details of the game. I hope that this little taste of success will give him more confidence- sometimes being surrounded by superstar players can be intimidating to him. I want him to see that he can do great things too!



Here's a photo of Austin with his cousin Landon, who came to one of his games a few weeks ago. It was a gorgeous day in Alpine and we had a fabulous game.

6 comments:

Shauna said...

I remember when I first saw Austin playing with a soccer ball at the park and being amazed at how well he handled the ball. I think he was 4 or 5 years old and just not old enough to be so in control of the ball! I would be surprised if he wasn't an awesome player.

Also, I agree with "not glossing over" everything and telling him straight about how to succeed. It seems like they need these facts to be successful in their own minds. Yeah Austin!

Carrie said...

Way to go Austin. That is such a huge deal! He always has been quite the little firecracker. I remember that well.

Diana said...

Way to go Austin I think that's way exciting!

Kim Sue said...

Yipee for Austin!

Thank you for my sweet good mail card. I have to tell you it came on a wonderful day. We were on our way home from school and Carly was so tired, you know the tired where everything goes wrong. By the time we pulled into the driveway she was in a complete meltdown. I told her to stay in the car until she calmed herself down. I walked out to the mailbox trying to calm myself down and there was your sweet good mail. It made me smile to see that little "good mail from Robyn" sticker. By the time I stood on the driveway and read it and enjoyed the moment, I was able to calmly handle my emotional 8 year old. Thank you for thinking about me!

Jill said...

Way to go Austin! What he lacks in size he definitely makes up for in speed and personality!

Bond Girl 007 said...

Oh I love the picture of both boys at the end. Wow he is fast... I love the mountains....