Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Dinosaurs and more

Today I woke up at 5:45 to go run with the girls. I went to bed too late (after midnight) and I woke with a headache, so it wasn't looking good. The temp was only 40 degrees, so I had to pull out some of my colder weather pants and jacket- I have been running in a long sleeved top and capri tights for about a month now, but today was chilly. I took some ibuprofen and somewhat reluctantly walked out the door at 6 am and off we went. The first half was ok- windy and chilly, but alright. The second half was torture! The wind was right in our faces and was blowing right against us (funny it didn't feel like the wind was behind us on the first half) so it was like pulling teeth just to finish the run. We got back most of the way, about a mile from the start (but we'd already completed 5 miles) and Heather said "Why don't we go to my house and I'll drive you guys home?" I happily agreed. I picked up my pace at that point just because I was excited to finish! I wanted it to end. Thankfully my headache was gone by then, but I couldn't wait to get back and have a hot shower. Miserable. I guess once in a while you have a run like that. What can you do?



Later, I actually pulled out my card/craft stuff to make some birthday cards! Shocker. I have some cute note cards I could use, but I needed a few birthday ones and other generic types. I very rarely pull out this scrapbook/craft stuff anymore. It's just too much work, I got no skills, no inspiration, too much effort, etc. I decided, however, after my experience today, that I am good under pressure. I whipped out 4 cards in no time. I knew we had to leave the house about noon and I couldn't dilly-dally (sp?) I had to just choose cardstock, paper, ribbon, whatever, and go with it. I didn't have time to second guess and think about it. This is my problem when I am creating. I think too much, take too long. One scrapbook layout will usually take me like 4 hours. (Hence, I don't do it anymore). The girls saw all my stuff on the table and immediately came over. Ashley said, "Mom, what doing?" and I got her some things. She is so adorable when she says, "Thank you Mom" with no prompting. They had a good time with my stamps.



We left with Mom and dropped something off in A.F., ate lunch at Wendy's, then went to F.F. for me to exchange my shoes. I know, I know. I loved the old shoes. Loved the color. I liked that they were different. However, they were just WAY too big. Luckily they have a 30 day guarantee so I had to go back. It was emotionally traumatic for me to go in there and exchange them, but I wasn't going to spend that much money on something I couldn't run in. Anyway, long story short I ended up getting another Mizuno. I don't like the look of this shoe nearly as much as the other, but they are more narrow and supposed to be good for flat arches. I plan to love these shoes! I know it seems like a big deal over nothing, but they are going to travel a lot of miles with me.



After that we met up with Landon and Whitney then drove to the Dinosaur Museum. Mom has a Grandparents' Pass so all the grandkids get in free and I am 1/2 price. I was really looking forward to it since we haven't been there yet. And of course, the kids were so excited to go with their cousins. I think we could go to Walmart and they would still be excited as long as their cousins were coming.



I love all the cool hands-on activities. They all really loved playing with the sand and water. Olivia spent about 45 minutes patting this same mound of sand. Whitney also enjoyed this exhibit but you wouldn't know from her face- she didn't want to smile for me!



The kids were so funny acting like they were running away from this big shark. If you can see down in the corner, even Ashley did a fake run and funny face. This cracked me up.



Austin and Ashley stood on the dinosaur scale together. I think they have a combined weight of about 60 lbs! We all got on together and reached about 370. We looked at the chart to see which dinos we would outweigh.



The kids liked the digging exhibit at the end where they could search for their own fossils. Ashley didn't quite understand why she was using a paintbrush in sand. We had to show her what to do. The kids loved it and we practically had to drag them out of there.



A nice guy took our photo all together at the end. It was a fun day at the museum- thanks Nana!



Now the kids are all in front of the t.v. watching Waterhorse and eating extra buttery popcorn. Good Times!

9 comments:

Diana said...

Good for you for going running. I don't think anything would get me out of bed that early let alone getting out of bed to be in the cold.
I hope you enjoy your new shoes and that there comfortable for you.
My kids too love the dinosaur museum. It's a great place for kids. It's a nice break because they can so easily entertain themselves.

Jill said...

Way to go with the early morning running, I definitely would not have gone.

Thanks for posting pictures from the outing with the kids today. Your hair looks fabulous and Ashley looks insanely cute.

Unknown said...

ooo bitter-cold runs, and at 6 am you are a champ...that dinosaur museum is awesome. Never-ending fun and I agree the hands-on activities are great!

Isn't it funny how attached you get to a running shoe, I admit I am a huge New Balance fan...

Anonymous said...

I admire you for running so early in the morning (and so cold as well). I now jog at the gym after I drop off my daughter at school - I feel so good after an hours worth of exercise.

I can't seem to purchase new running shoes and I know its a must, these had many miles and must be replaced. I agree with Rach, I'm attached to my shoes but I do have to replace them soon. I love Saucony, just a preference.

Jamie said...

The Dinosaur Museum looked like a blast. I love the shark photo. You are right about the whole "cousin" thing...my kids are always so excited to get with their cousins, it doesn't matter what they are doing.
I'm glad you got some new shoes and I hope they work out for you! Could you please send some of that 40 degree weather this way? We are melting out here. I would give almost anything for a cool, mountain morning right about now. =D

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you got new shoes! They are so important so I wouldn't feel weird about taking those other ones back at all.

Sometimes I think we all have to have a bad run to appreciate the really good ones. I wish I could go that early...maybe when Linc is outta school.

We love the museum- and the children's garden place too.

Britney said...

Wow! Was that all one day??!!! (Or was I just not paying attention?)

I love the Dinosaur Museum! My kids LOVE the sand and water area and the digging for bones area. It's such a great place. It's fun they have cousins so close and get to spend so much time together. Lucky!

Bond Girl 007 said...

OH MY GOODNESS ROBYN, go out in the cold weather....I commend you. The fotos from the museum loook soo fun, and I loved the faces they made...but what is up with whitney...funny she did not want to smile.! How nice to go out and have a good time. It is always so nice to have memories too of all the activities.

Cecilia said...

I admire you for all your running and I'm glad you got shoes that will work out for you.

We love the dinosaur museum!