So, the vomit-fest continues. Ashley has only been sick a couple of times today, but one of those times was a BAD one all over the couch. Thank goodness for brown micro-suede, everything wipes off. Poor Olivia has tried to eat a few times but still can't keep anything down. I can't believe it's lasted so long (5 days now). I would be worried except for the fact that she is gulping down the Pedialyte continually and does not have a fever. Both girls were sleeping for hours this afternoon- what a rare treat! I feel bad that it has to be at the expense of their health, but hey, I am trying to look on the bright side- sleeping kids are ALWAYS a good thing.
I didn't feel like cleaning or doing other boring household chores during the marathon naps. I wanted to enjoy the free time and relax. To me, this is time for a good book. Unfortunately, I have read everything in my house at the moment. I have sort of given up on reading the past few months. Well, the only book I could find was "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". I bought it a few months ago at a garage sale down the street. It has proven more interesting that I expected. Don't get me wrong, it still has that repetitive style that many self-help type books have. Does anyone else find that so annoying? Why don't they just allow the book to be shorter, rather than saying the SAME thing 50 times?

Here are some quotes I like thus far:
Page 33 "Or if you're the kind of person who has no guts, you just give up every time life pushes you. If you're that kind of person, you'll live your whole life playing it safe, doing the right things, saving yourself for some event that never happens... But the truth is, you let life push you into submission. Deep down you were terrified of taking risks. You really wanted to win, but the fear of losing was greater than the excitement of winning. Deep inside, you, and only you will know you didn't go for it. You chose to play it safe." (I have to admit I relate to this sometimes. Sometimes my fear of failure is greater than the desire to succeed. Something I fight within myself. Not sure why I don't just give myself a chance. Guess I need to have more faith in my abilities)
Page 43 "...many people are rich not because of desire but because of fear. They actually think that money can eliminate that fear of NOT having money, of being poor, so they amass tons of it only to find out the fear gets worse. They now fear losing it..." "Many are emotionally desperate and neurotic, although they look rich and have more money." "So is a poor man happier?" I asked. "No, I don't think so, Rich dad replied, "THE AVOIDANCE OF MONEY IS JUST AS PSYCHOTIC AS BEING ATTACHED TO MONEY." (Do any of you know people like this? I do. They are more afraid of having money than NOT having it. Very sad. Why would you intentionally NOT want to succeed? Not want to have money?)
Page 65 "But more money will often not solve the problem; in fact, it may actually accelerate the problem. Money often makes obvious OUR TRAGIC HUMAN FLAWS. Money often puts a spotlight on what we do not know... often a person who has a sudden windfall of cash... returns to the same financial mess, if not worse than the mess they were in before they received the money. Money only ACCENTUATES THE CASH-FLOW PATTERN RUNNING IN YOUR HEAD. If your pattern is to spend everything you get, most likely an increase in cash will just result in an increase in spending. (My husband is nodding his head as he reads this. Baby steps Jared, baby steps)
Page 81 "The rich buy assets. The poor only have expenses. The middle class buys liabilities they THINK are assets"
So I hope someone out there got something out of those quotes. I know that it's changing the way I look at money a little bit (I am sure I have a LONG way to go, but I am trying). The book is entertaining me, at least. I will probably finish tonight. What will I do tomorrow? Wish I had "Twilight" to read b/c so many people have recommended it. If only I had some warning! I could have prepared.
Jared and Austin won't be back til at least noon tomorrow. I told Jared I am going to be running out of the house as soon as he gets home. I am getting cabin fever! I want to see Stardust (anyone have a review for me?) or maybe go out to eat with a friend. Anything!
4 comments:
Oh no! Sorry to hear your girls are sick. Hope they feel better soon.
You need to call in reinforcements. Can't Katherine or Diane or one of your friends drop off some books or magazines for you. Here you're being blessed with two sleeping sickie and you don't have many reading choices, that's just plain sad.
I'm so sorry Ashely is still sick. It's so sad to watch them in such a state.
The book sounds interesting and I loved the first quote. It's so so true, and like you seem to struggle with it at times, on certain issues.
Glad your doing something for you during those power naps.
I'm so sorry that the girls were sick! That is so wearing, especially when you have to take care of it by yourself. I remember when the boys went through bouts like that and I felt like it would never end!!!
My dad had purchased that book for me and Andy a couple years ago. It was really interesting, but I can't remember that much about it. Thanks for posting the quotes for a refresher.
Aren't you going to Sydney soon??
Post a Comment