Thursday, September 27, 2007

Sick Girl



This has been the state of Olivia since Monday afternoon. She felt sick late in the day and it went on all night. Tuesday we went down to Katherine's for lunch and to play at the beach. Olivia was on the couch all day, except for when we went down to the beach. There she just wanted to be wrapped up in towels while the other kids ran around the beach. That day she didn't get sick at all, she was just tired and cold, completely unlike herself.





By Wednesday I thought it had passed. She hadn't thrown up and she seemed a little more energetic. Then, just after lunch, she said she was sick again and it all started. It has hardly let up since then! She kept me up all night last night, every 2 hours she would be sick, then go back to sleep. All morning it was the same. She tried to eat some oatmeal for breakfast but couldn't keep it down.

Late this afternoon I was feeling really concerned. She has hardly had a thing to eat since Monday. All I can remember is some cereal, and some oatmeal, then she asked for Ramen noodles this evening. I let her have some, thinking "anything is good" but her little stomach just doesn't want to keep anything in. At least I had some pedialyte on hand so she has been drinking that. I haven't been too worried about her being dehydrated since she keeps drinking... but this seems like so long for a stomach flu to be going on. Does anyone know? I haven't taken her to the Dr. because I figured he would just tell me to keep fluids in her. I checked WebMD but it wasn't any help. Anyone have any suggestions?



I have been giving her a homeopathic medicine called "Stomach Calm" which seems to help a little. She is asleep now, and has been for a few hours. I am hoping that tonight we can get some sleep. It's so hard to see such a little body so sick. She already looks so skinny and her face is so ashen and lifeless. Where is my Olivia? I want my smiling princess back!

The hard part is, we are on Spring Break right now. So I feel a little bit quarantined in my own home. Jared is out of town and Austin went camping with Kate and Daniel & kids. I have no adult interaction! I can't take Olivia anywhere b/c she is puking constantly. I called my friend Helen to get some DVDs (they always have the latest) so I got Reign over me (which was awfu), Evan Almighty, Rush Hour 3, and a few others. I hope they get me through the next few days. Jared and Austin won't be back until Saturday. Thank goodness my in laws stopped by today and brought me some milk and yogurt. Hopefully she gets better very soon... for my sake and hers!

3 comments:

melanie said...

How horrible Robyn! I hate the every two hour thing when they are older and throwing up. I hope she is feeling better soon. Sometimes my kids have hung on for that long. At least she's drinking.

Bond Girl 007 said...

poor olivia, although she looks fabulous in this picture

Jill said...

Oh dear, this sounds very grim, especially over spring break!