Thursday, July 05, 2007

The 4th day of July



Well obviously it wasn't really the "Fourth of July" to me since I am on another continent.... it felt more like just the 4th day of July. No parades, no fireworks, no picnics, no flags. Ok, one flag. The one in front of my house. That's ok. Last year it was harder for me. This year I expected it. I didn't try to create my own 4th of July this year. It was pretty pathetic last year so I decided to just let it go. It was fine.



Olivia and Courtney at Kate's house


We went down to Katherine's place, about 30 minutes down the coast. We just had lunch and hung out while the kids played, nothing too exciting. It was a pretty warm day (24 C) so it felt a little summery and 4th of July-ish. Just to appease my patriotic need, I made some American cinnamon rolls and brought them to Kate's house. It was my way of celebrating. No one complained.



The girls had a fun time dancing around, playing mommies, coloring, etc. and the boys played Play Station football, jumped on the trampoline, rode scooters, and played soccer.



Later we went down to the beach and the kids ran around in the sand, made sandcastles, threw the sand, ate the sand (in Ashley's case) and had an all around good time.






Mum and Susan watching the kids




Olivia and Courtney play so well together



Austin having a sweet giggle. He has a great laugh.



Olivia on the couch later

Then we said goodbye to Lauren, Lily and Sienna. It's been great to have them here. My kids had never met them until this trip (nor Jared) so it was much overdue. At least we know we'll see them at Christmastime. Getting Lauren and Tim here at Christmas (mid Summer) is miraculous. I still can't believe they are coming! I am hoping to have a little trip to Melbourne before then. Will have to watch the deals...



I hope that you all had a great 4th of July. I hope you put up your flag. I hope you went to the parade. I hope you watched the fireworks. I hope you spent time with family or good friends. I hope you enjoyed the day, and that you appreciate every day what an amazing country you live in. Even though I miss America, I know that Australia is a wonderful place to live in. Listening to my in-laws who just moved here from South Africa really makes me appreciate it. Their 3 year old asked his mom the other day, "When are the people going to come and get us?" The poor guy is so used to living in fear of carjackers, robbers, and corrupt police. Living in a world of locks, padlocks, keys, panic buttons, bars on windows and doors, etc. that he hasn't yet adjusted to living in a safe, clean place.

Enjoy the freedom.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Lori said you'd forgotten it was the Fourth of July, so I'm surprised you acknowledged it. I guess it's good that it's not so hard for you to be there anymore, but it's still sad to think of you forgetting holidays like this.

It's fun to see that picture of Lauren and her cute daughters, they look just like her.

Austin looks different in every picture you post of him and I still can't believe how long his hair is!

amy gretchen said...

I do enjoy the freedom and am grateful for this country everyday. Grateful to all those who have made it possible.

Even though you didn't actually celebrate your day sounded much like any fourth of july celebration sans fireworks. I am glad you have found a place of love for Australia, but I must admit I'm always hoping you guys will be back. You are missed and were certainly missed on the fourth.