Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Party planning



So my whole theory about our upcoming Halloween party is PLAN PLAN PLAN. I tend to stress out when I am hosting something so I am trying to prevent that. I just want everything to be perfect (which it never is... you'd think I would learn). I want lots of good food, everyone to have fun, lots of people to show up, exciting games, fun prizes, etc. Today I worked on the invitation. I now have scanner technology so I was able to scan it for your viewing pleasure. I don't love the invite, but again, I am a perfectionist so I guess I never would have been happy, but... I wanted something more exciting so I was playing around in Adobe Illustrator ( I don't know Photoshop well enough YET to use that program). In the photo you can't really see the witch behind the words "Halloween party" it's actually more defined and a little darker, but anyway, I was glad to be done and get them out. I wanted to use the ribbon to tie little spider rings to the invite but couldn't figure out the best way to do it and it was going to be like 50 cents per ring, so I passed. I figured it will better to spend the money on food, prizes, and other elements of the actual party. I love that ribbon on the card. It reminds me of candy corns, which I also can't get here. I have been looking around the stores but all I see is Christmas stuff. Again, isn't it early for Christmas?



I have been using the cute journal that Jill gave me under the "Project Ideas" section for all my lists (thanks Jill). We have about 30 kids on the list but that is NOT including all of Austin's classmates, only about 8. Am I obligated to invite everyone in his class? I wanted to invite about 8 of his closest friends but will that be rude? I just don't want to double the amount of people coming b/c then I WILL end up getting stressed out. That means all of those additional parents and siblings would be coming. Not sure what I am going to do yet. The other people on the list are cousins, friends from church and gymnastics.

The party is going to be on Halloween from 4-6. Not a lot of people trick or treat here, so I figure no one will be put out that it's on the actual day. I wanted to do the Saturday before, but we have a church Women's Conference that I have to teach at (a nutrition class) so that doesn't work. I am desperately waiting for the package that Mom says she sent weeks ago. I hope it doesn't take 8 weeks b/c that might put a damper on the whole Halloween party thing if we don't have the decorations, sign, cups, plates, etc.



I am going to make eyeball cupcakes, my favorite Halloween treat. I especially love using red decorating gel to make blood shot eyes! I have lots of gummy worms, cheese balls, and other junk for the kids to eat. I plan to do a fruit plate and pumpkin muffins for adults too. If anyone knows of any other fun Halloween treats to make, please share!



Also on my project list: balloons, streamers, hanging bats, pumpkins, jointed skeleton on the door, Happy Halloween sign, and any other decorations I come up with. We will play "Pin the nose on the pumpkin", Pass the parcel, Wrap the mummy (using rolls of toilet paper), and have a costume contest. Our prizes for games will be bubbles, a bouncy ball, and a yo-yo. I have spooky music CD's to play as well. At this point I am not planning on doing party bags/favors because of so many kids and siblings that will be coming. One friend has 8 kids so if they all come that will add almost 30% to my party! WOW, good thing it will be outside in the yard.

Yes, I have looked at everything on Family Fun. com, just in case you were going to suggest it. Their site is quite good. In fact, my friend Britney told me they have an Egyptian pharaoh costume on the site which I checked out. It gives me faith that I can actually pull it off! It's very simple. Thanks Britney. Click HERE for
Halloween ideas and info.


I love HALLOWEEN!

8 comments:

Bond Girl 007 said...

That is so cool that you are doing this...I loved the invitations and the font...wow you are adventurous...what an endearing project especially if you love halloween! It is going to be a blast and all the things you are planning on having! can I come?

Jill said...

Your invitations are darling, I can see the witch behind the text. I think it's great that you're planning such a fun thing for your kids. I'm curious to know how the guests and their parents react to a Halloween party if they're not used to celebrating it. I hope Mom's box of goodies gets there soon!

amy gretchen said...

Sounds like you have a great thing planned. I'm really impressed. I tend to stressed too, even if I plan way ahead. Just something I do.

Cute invite. Wish we could go. I look forward to hearing how it goes espeically since it's not that big of a holiday there.

Jamie said...

Cute invitation and the party sounds like a ton of fun...just the think kids would go for.
We did a Halloween themed bday party for the boys last year. One big "hit" for the food was hot dog mummies. I cut the hot dogs in half length-wide (to prevent choking), then I cut them in half again. Wrap the hot dogs with pillsbury biscuit or breadstick dough to make it look like a mummy. Bake according to biscuit directions. Use a toothpick to put mustard on for the eyes. They were so cute and fun. I'll send you a picture.
Good luck with the party!

Anonymous said...

What! No box has arrived yet? I'm calling the P.O. right now. I'll track it down. It should have been there. The plans sounds so great that I'm just sick I can't be there to help you in the wings. It will be great ONLY if you don't stress but just enjoy the entire thing. You know, expecting everything to be perfect just places too much pressure on you. Go with the flow. Enjoy!!

Laurie said...

Oh so cute. You will have them wishing they were more into Halloween. I love this. I love Halloween too. Someday when I don't have a baby on my hip at all times I will have to do this too. So cute.

michelle said...

You sure are ambitious, I've never given a Halloween party before. For the adults, there's always "ghost chili" (chili made with white beans and chicken, email me if you need a recipe).

KaylynB said...

I definitely think you should play the game you played at your last Halloween party here where everyone chews up a piece of gum and sticks it to the witch's nose to represent a wart. It was disgusting and hilarious all at the same time. It was my fav.