Friday, May 12, 2006

An Ode to Parcel Pick Up


I don't know if Australia is the only place they do parcel pickup... maybe bigger cities do it and I just don't know about it... but it's ingenious. I love it. It makes me want to do a dance, sing praises, what have you...

You've got three kids in tow, an overloaded shopping cart and you are parked about a mile away from the door. You have 15 minutes to get to a swimming lesson and the thought of dragging your kids and a heavy cart to your car is more than you can take. Guess what? You pay for your items and walk right out of the store with only your kids to drag you down (yes, this still may take 10 minutes, just to get to the car, but you won't be pushing a heavy cart and trying to load all of the groceries while yelling at your children to get into their seats). You simply take your receipt and drive to the back of the store to have your groceries loaded right into your car. It's great. It's brilliant. It's free.

Not only does it work for groceries, but other items as well. If I am shopping at Target (which is at the mall) and I buy big Rubbermaid storage boxes or a huge quilt, I can do parcel pickup and keep on shopping.

I just have to say whoever thought of this service, they deserve a raise. They deserve a plaque. My goodness, I would even vote for a public holiday. That's how much I like Parcel Pickup.

4 comments:

skbkmjfamily said...

I remember when Harmans used to do this. This was the only way my mom would ever get grocries. I am so with you, what happened to those days. I find it funny that we live in a world where that is so much more important, because of the buckling systems we are held too. When my mom had it, she just dumped us in the back seat. I am jealous. Another great thing about where you live.

Jill said...

What a great idea. Whenever I go to Costco or the grocery store I can't help think about how they had to load the groceries onto the shelves, then I load them into my cart, then unload them onto the conveyor belt, then they load them back into the cart, then I load them into my car, then drive home, then unload them onto the kitchen counter and then load them into the cupboards and the fridge! Whew, that's a lot of loading.

I think parcel pick-up would be a dream, especially with 3 kids.

Jamie said...

My mom shops at Harmons in Ogden and they STILL do this service. I absolutely love it, especially when the boys and I go grocery shopping with her when we visit Utah. It is THE best thing in the world.

Bond Girl 007 said...

One interesting fact...in Italy they don't give you grocery bags...you have to purchase them...ridiculous! This happend in IKEA where you would go to the register and they scan the items and then you leave with the cart full of stuff (looks like you are taking them away!) funny how things work in different places!